oss and missing sound card drivers

Guest joeclem111

Guest joeclem111

Hi, I am running Mandriva 10 official. I had no probs until I tried to install oss sound system. My PC has an AWE Soundblaster PCI 128 sound card but Mandriva thought it was an ensoniq 2885. No problems, it ran it fine. THEN I tried to install oss. It was an abortive install. I told their web site I was running Mandriva and told them the correct sound card. Their web site led me to download the WRONG rpm! Anyway, since the abortive install, when I boot up, the sound card fails to initialise and says it can't find the driver (I have set it to alsa ens1371). arts gives an error message that there is no /dev /dsp. If I use makedev to create /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer the newly created dsp and mixer is missing at the next boot. I think that oss removes these and the original drivers and this is obviously still happening. I cannot uninstall oss as it never completed in the first place. How can I re-introduce the original Mandriva installation without doing a full re-install of Mandriva?

You´re mixing 2 different things: alsa and oss. You can only use one of those. If you want to use oss you can´t use an alsa driver. You can´t uninstall oss since it´s a part of the linux kernel. What you have to do is open the MCC, hardware, hardware selct the souncard, click configure and load the appropiate oss driver for your card. That should be it

My PC has an AWE Soundblaster PCI 128 sound card but Mandriva thought it was an ensoniq 2885.

That's probably correct: SB PCI 128 card used three different revisions of the Ensoniq chipset, one of them being 2885 (the other two being 1370 and 1371). Do you have reasons to believe that's wrong, and another Ensoniq chipset is present?

Anyway, OSS is today run by ALSA in emulation mode (for programs the explicitly need the OSS driver). Can you copypaste here the contents of your modprobe.conf?