What's included in 2005LE mini & 2006 mini?

Arne

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The internet stuff, is usually things like browsers, chat apps, things like this. You could always reinstall with it selected, and see if it's any better. But when you install an app from internet, it would install the relevant dependencies required.

I can only think that the network card isn't configured correctly or something along those lines. It was configured as a LAN card? Not ADSL?

Hello again,

Firefox didn't help on the speed problem. Since both browsers fail the error must be in the installation or my old notebook doesn't work well with 2006 Power pack.

Rebooting do not help either so I reformat the drive and made a fresh installation of 2006.

I added the internet group and deleted some of mandriva choices which according to the information given have nothing to with web browsers and internet connection.

Everything went smoothly and in summary I did exactly as last time. On reboot ICE-WM don't load completely and is useless.

In desperation I trove in Puppy Live again and I have full ADSL speed instantly. At the moment I am feed up and let it rest for a while.

Any comment on what can be the problem is very welcome.

Edited by Arne

How do you mean ICE-WM didn't load completely? Was the screen a mess? Could be a configuration issue with X and the screen driver which may have caused it.

I'd give it a day, maybe two, and then come back to it with a fresh head, so that you're not too tired and ending up with more issues. I had this once building and reinstalling a server constantly, and each time I did it, my problems were getting worse. I gave a day or so rest away from it, to clear my head, and then started again, and all was OK.

First, I would say it's nothing software related, browsers, etc, etc. I can pretty much guarantee it's something to do with the network configuration to which is why it is running slow.

I've always found that with Realtek 8139 network cards that apic must and has to be disabled. Network performance then is usually good after this has been done. It seems when it's not disabled, that the network either works, or it doesn't, or won't achieve the results your looking for.

As and when you install again, when you get to the summary screen, make sure the graphics is configured. I would also suggest configuring the network card and giving it a static IP address, as opposed to letting it pick up a DHCP IP address. Make sure the static IP you assign is spare and not in use or likely to conflict with your router if it's giving out DHCP IP's.

Once you've done this, reboot for the first time, and see how you get on. Post back and let us know. If nothing the first time, go into MCC and disable the apic and reboot again.

Hi Guys,

Thank's Ian. Before I give it a rest:

I installed again this with KDE. The last 2 times I installed and start Opera I get this error message and opera report not connected:

Opera encountered a problem during plug-in setup.

Plug-ins will not work properly.

Check your installation.

Could not start plug-in executable 'operamotifwrapper'.

/usr/lib/opera/plugins/operamotifwrapper-3

Please install Motif.

Plug-in path

(Path can be modified in Preferences dialog)

/usr/lib/opera/plugins

The path is as I have it

[root@localhost arne]# cd /usr/lib/opera/plugins

[root@localhost plugins]# ls

libnpp.so            operamotifwrapper-2*  operaplugincleaner*

operamotifwrapper-1*  operamotifwrapper-3*

and the file exist.

This is extracted from "lsmod". I wonder about the "8139cp". Could it be a conflict that prevent the ethernet working as it should????????

8139cp                 17344  0
8139too                21760  0
mii                     4704  2 8139cp,8139too
nvram                   7400  0
yenta_socket           20328  3
rsrc_nonstatic         11200  1 yenta_socket
pcmcia_core            43300  3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic

dmesg report several section like this:

Yenta: CardBus bridge found at 0000:00:02.0 [1014:0092]

Yenta: Enabling burst memory read transactions

Yenta: Using CSCINT to route CSC interrupts to PCI

Yenta: Routing CardBus interrupts to PCI

Yenta TI: socket 0000:00:02.0, mfunc 0xfba97543, devctl 0x62

Yenta TI: socket 0000:00:02.0 probing PCI interrupt failed, trying to fix

Yenta TI: socket 0000:00:02.0 no PCI interrupts. Fish. Please report.

Yenta: ISA IRQ mask 0x0498, PCI irq 0

Socket status: 30000006

and several of this:

eth0: Tx queue start entry 7  dirty entry 3.

eth0:  Tx descriptor 0 is 0008a04e.

eth0:  Tx descriptor 1 is 0008a04e.

eth0:  Tx descriptor 2 is 0008a04e.

eth0:  Tx descriptor 3 is 0008a042. (queue head)

eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1

NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

eth0: Transmit timeout, status 0c 0005 c07f media 00.

Does this give some clue to what is going on?????

Is netplugd enabled? To check:

chkconfig --list netplugd

does "On" appear against any of them? If so, I would be tempted to do:

service netplugd stop
chkconfig netplugd off

and then see if it's any better.

OK, if everything is set to "Off", then netplugd will be disabled. This can normally be checked with:

service netplugd status

that'll tell you if it's running or not. I was thinking that if it was enabled, that it might be constantly connecting/disconnecting the link. Of course, if all is set to "Off", then it's not doing that.

I'm kind of running out of ideas, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the network card than anything else. If you have a normal ISO image of LE2005, how has this performed when it's been installed on the laptop? We know that 10.1 was OK on your machine, just wondered how LE2005 had fared.

2005LE 3 CD's downloaded and burned with 8x on high quality media with all md5sum's OK.

Installed and yenta_socket and RT8139too activated during install, according to 'lsmod'.

Go to mcc and set up a LAN connection. Load firefox no conncetion, KDE browser no connection.

Go to setup ADSL connection. Loose eth0 and no connection.

Delete ADSL connection and reset eth0 connection. Network is up on interface eth0. Still no connection. Monitor connection report 'verify connection.

I read somewhere that in 2005LE you have to setup ADSL connection opposite from 2006 where you have to setup LAN connection. Can anyone point me to the relevant information for 2005LE set up??????

What am I missing??????????

As usual Puppy linux LIVE 1.07 work perfectly at full ADSL speed.

As far as I know Realtek 8139 is certified by mandriva. It certainly don't look like that.

I really start to be angry, sorry

Edited by Arne