Adding Firefox 1.5 to 2006 [solved]

jboy

Guys,

I'm a n00b too, but this is what I get when I run firefox from the cli:

error while loading share librares: libstdc++.so.5 cannot open shared object file: No such directory exists.

Happens in many distributions. Basically you have to install a "compat-libstdc" package, but I can't tell you the name exactly if I don't know which distribution you are using.

Guest Larry Shipley

Guys,

I'm a n00b too, but this is what I get when I run firefox from the cli:

error while loading share librares: libstdc++.so.5 cannot open shared object file: No such directory exists.

Happens in many distributions. Basically you have to install a "compat-libstdc" package, but I can't tell you the name exactly if I don't know which distribution you are using.

Thanks, Scarecrow. The distro is 2006.

Firefox 1.5 has been in the cooker for quite a while. Are you familiar with setting up software repositories from http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ for URPMI or SMART? If so, add the cooker (main and contrib branches) to your list of software repositories and then search for Firefox. Once the repositories are added, installing firefox should be as easy as the following

urpmi firefox

or

smart --install firefox

Both package managers will handle the dependancies and you will have seperate folders under /usr/lib for the 1.X and 1.5 firefox libs allowing you to roll back if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
Instead of trying to explain the commands coverup gave and what your misunderstandings are, I suggest you learn the basics of using Midnight Commander for file copy/move, changing permissions, creating symlinks, etc, etc. until you get more familiar with the Linux command line. It should already be installed, just type 'mc' in a terminal and play around with it a bit, it's pretty simple to understand. Of course most GUI file managers like Konqueror or XFE will do such stuff with a Windoze Explorer-style GUI, but MC is more versatile and has the advantage that since it's a text-based GUI, it will run even if you hose your system and can't get X to run. So once you learn basic MC use you always have a familiar interface for file manipulation to fall back on in good times or bad. Also does cool stuff like let you look into rpms or tarballs and much more. A great tool for n00bs or power users.

Seems like a great tool but it´s not installed on my system and I don´t know the package name for urpmi...

nevermind urpmi mc seemed to have done the trick

Edited by ffi