Static IP Problems

DeeJayBump

I followed the instructions for assigning static IP addresses at the following link:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=25212

Once I completed the steps, it worked for my purpose (using Azureus) but after a few hours (or a reboot) my PC would take forever to boot and eth0 would not function correctly (no internet browsing, etc) when the PC finally did complete the bootup process.

The only thing that corrected these issue was to reinstall Mandrake.

The details:

I run Mandrake 2005 LE, I am home networked through a Linksys WRT54G router and my eth0 is the onboard ethernet from my Epox 8RDA3+PRO motherboard.

Can anybody help me diagnose what I am doing wrong and perhaps help me correct it?

Thanks.

-Scott

Check your BIOS doesn't have Plug and Play OS selected, this can sometimes cause problems with hardware detection and operability. At least worth checking, even if it isn't this.

You didn't say what network card you have? Is it a realtek 8139 by any chance?

I tried turning off DHCP thorugh my router, yet this did not correct the problems. I haven't yet tried one of the spare NICS I have laying around to see if that corrects the issues. The onboard ethernet is based on the Cicada 8201 chipset.

I just tried again to set the static IP for my PC--both through my Mandrake2005LE config and through the router, while leaving the other PCs networked through the router in their same configuration--and immediately after changing from DHCP to static IP, my PC slowed to a crawl upon rebooting, and I could not do anything internet related.

I would disable ipv6, you can do this by editing /etc/modprobe.conf and adding this line:

alias net-pf-10 off

if that doesn't do it after a reboot, then suggest disabling apic and/or local apic depending if just doing apic doesn't work. This is found in System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/Boot, then select Boot Loader. Choose the option to disable apic, and then finish and reboot. If still a problem, then disable local apic, and reboot and see if that helps any?!?