Gnome System Monitor

RVDowning

Having a problem in Mandriva 2006 terminating a process in Gnome System Monitor for those processes that require root privileges to kill or stop. It seems to me that in LE2005 it used to popup a box asking for root's password, and then would allow the process to be killed or stopped. In 2006 I don't get that popup box for the password. Any ideas?

Well,

if you only care about killing the process, you can use the root console. "top" command will show you all your processes, pretty much like in Gnome sys.monitor, which you can order and filter any way you like (type "?" for help). For instance "k" will initiate the killing dialogue, "u root" will show only root's processes.

I don't know how to make the Gnome sys.monitor to ask for the root's password and whether this is possible at all.

You can also just open a root CLI and type

kill -9 pid

where PID is the PID given by gnome for that process

of you can use

ps -ef

or

ps -aux

and see which processes you want to kill. Redirecting to more and grep to find stuff.

i.e.

ps -ef | grep <uid> | grep -v <someprocess to ignore> | more

As I tested it after reading your post I have the same behavior, have configured it then to start via gksu as root, now it will ask me for the password at startup and I can access all processes (I'm just to lazy for the CLI :D )

Edited by lavaeolus