kde system tray features missing [solved]

lawsonrc

I believe the following is a software problem and not a laptop problem, so i'm posting here.

Last night I reinstalled MDV2006Powerpack on my Toshiba5205-S703. When I first installed it, I had a display icon on the system tray from which I could change the screen size resolutions. It is missing. How can I get this icon back onto the system tray?

Also, I have the KLaptop icon which shows how much battery power I have. I believe it was KLaptop that was able to do this: I could right-click on it and choose "Screen Brightness...". A slider would appear (similar to the one for volume) and I could adjust the brightness of the screen. It also is missing after the re-install.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Richard L.

The screen resolution one from memory is somewhere under System, but I'm not sure exactly where.

I have a feeling it's under the KDE section in Configuration, but I'm not on my system to check right now. I believe under System/Configuration/KDE you should find the options for the Power Control as well, and what options to enable.

Unless, going into properties of the klaptop icon doesn't give you what you need, again, not on my machine to check, but a few ideas for the time being :P

Thank you both, IAN and DEVRIES, for your quick responses and your desire to always help me. I am forever grateful :thanks: !

IAN, I appreciate your input in using KControl to find a solution. That was to me the logical place to look, but alas, no solution was there. However, I turned the laptop off for a couple of hours and when I turned it back on and booted up MDV06, I then right-clicked on Klaptop and VOILA! "Screenbrightness..." appeared again! (On my other laptop it doesn't appear as an option....also MDV06.) WEIRD, but GOOD NEWS!

DEVRIES, thanks for suggestion Krandtray. I did a "whereis.." and an "slocate..." and it wasn't there, so did some googling and installed kde-utils and a part of kde-base, but that didn't help.

HOWEVER, I did more googling, even into German forums, and finally found that KRandRtray is located in Menu>System>Configuration>Hardware>KRandRtray. So I clicked on it and again...VOILA....It now sits in my system tray.

ALL IS SOLVED!

By your eagerness to help, I was able to brainstorm and finally get the results I needed. You two are always a great help to me and lead me on the right path for solutions.

Many thanks,

Richard L. :D