having a problem with Firefox [solved] [I think]

solarian

Hi!,

since I remember I'm having one particular problem with Firefox (on Linux).

Till now I had thought that it's just glitchy software itself, but now some other people who also use Linux have told me, that they have no such problem.

And it is: from time to time Firefox just doesn't render a page, particulary if it's a .php page, even more particulary if it has some argument behind it (.php?456346#).

In such cases I see the correct url in the address bar, but the page either has stayed the same from which I clicked, or it's completely blank.

In such cases I click on that link and refresh for a dozen of times till it finally loads, or if I get very frustrated, I launch Opera or Galeon which show no such behaviour.

Then use Opera, somebody will probalbly say, and I would agree if not for particluar extensions.

Firefox usually loads the page if it's freshly restarted.

:help::help:

Edited by solarian

Darn, it just happened again, see the screenshot, pay attention to the address bar.

It should have rendered this page after I had clicked (post new topic), the correct url loaded, but the page stayed the same in which I wrote this post: link to jpg

Edited by solarian

Did you do any of the Firefox 'tuining' in the make firefox faster thread?

This might be some prob with pre-rendering (or not) or some overly agressive caching?

Have you tried starting from a 'clean' firefox install.... I honestly have no probs anymore though I kept with Opera for a long time because early firefox was so slow in comparison but since 1.0 (when your probelms started) its worked fine...

Try moving the .mozilla directory and then deinstall and reinstall?

Then add the plug-ins slowly ... perhaps its also a plug-in you are using?

Did you do any of the Firefox 'tuining' in the make firefox faster thread?

This might be some prob with pre-rendering (or not) or some overly agressive caching?

No, no tuning. How do I check about that caching?

Have you tried starting from a 'clean' firefox install....

Yes, I've tried a clean install and a clean (new) user dir, maybe I should do it again...

Try moving the .mozilla directory and then deinstall and reinstall?

The whole dir? Ok, I'll try sometime tomorrow, I'll report on how it goes.

Then add the plug-ins slowly ... perhaps its also a plug-in you are using?

Hmm.. unlikely, all pretty standart stuff everyone's using. Adblock, Spellbound, Deepest Sender.

p.s. I think it looks as some serious caching issues, but I have no idea from where that originates. :/

Any more ideas anyone before I delete my .mozilla dir?

p.p.s. I'm using the .tar version atm. But I've also tried mdk .rpm's

For my part, I have begun to use Mandriva rpm's whenever possible. I use kde. It seems like the specialization from Mandriva might affect aspects of other programs, but I have no problems as long as I tilize their rpms.

Hi!,

since I remember I'm having one particular problem with Firefox (on Linux).

Till now I had thought that it's just glitchy software itself, but now some other people who also use Linux have told me, that they have no such problem.

And it is: from time to time Firefox just doesn't render a page, particulary if it's a .php page, even more particulary if it has some argument behind it (.php?456346#).

In such cases I see the correct url in the address bar, but the page either has stayed the same from which I clicked, or it's completely blank.

In such cases I click on that link and refresh for a dozen of times till it finally loads, or if I get very frustrated, I launch Opera or Galeon which show no such behaviour.

Then use Opera, somebody will probalbly say, and I would agree if not for particluar extensions.

Firefox usually loads the page if it's freshly restarted.

:help:  :help:

It happens to me very often, so i've learned to ignore that...

I deleted all .mozilla dir

In Firefox-speak you have created a clean profile. This frequently cures many problems as you can see by having a look at the MozillaZine forum.

In particular, if you upgrade from 1.0 to 1.5, it is a good idea to create a fresh profile.