logitech quickcam communicate STX [solved]

Guest cortex31

Guest cortex31

hi all,

I'm try to install my logitech webcam, and having some trouble...

maybe some of you can help.

I'm running the mandriva 2006, the one downloaded from mandriva servers

Here what I did for now:

plug the cam in

boot the pc

install spac5xx drivers using urpmi (so it install some other dependencies), it install dkms-spca5xx-0.57.00-2mdk

then I thaught it should work, but it is not the case !

there is no /dev/video => I decide to make it using mknode video0 c 81 0

but it still doesn't work...

I check lsmode, no spca5xx module, therefore I load it by hand: modprobe spca5xx

but still doesn't work.

gqcam return: /dev/video no such file or directory

does anyone have any idea ?

thanks

Guest cortex31

well, just for the record, I'm going to answer at my own question.

I just remove the official rpm for spca5xx and get the latest source, compile it... and it work flowlesssly !

well, just for the record, I'm going to answer at my own question.

I just remove the official rpm for spca5xx and get the latest source, compile it... and it work flowlesssly !

Thanks for the update, I know I tryed these for my Logitec webcam at one time and it didnt work yet.

Now it does.......w00t :cheesy::cheesy:

Guest smokestack

Can you guys tell me what you did? I am new and not sure where to start. I have mandriva 2006. Logitech quickcam and cant get it to work. what is the driver you all talked about? step by step would be awsome. Thanks in advance.

Can you guys tell me what you did? I am new and not sure where to start. I have mandriva 2006. Logitech quickcam and cant get it to work. what is the driver you all talked about? step by step would be awsome. Thanks in advance.

Heres what I did.

Got these drivers http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca50x/Download/sp...20060101.tar.gz

extracted them, then opened a console in that folder (theres directions in an install file also)

make clean

make

su to root

make install

Fired up gqcam and there it was (I may have modeprobe spca5xx, I cant remember right off)

Guest smokestack

This is what i get when i typed it. Make. tried make install also. same error. Dunno what it means. thanks for the help

[root@Moggy spca5xx-20060101]# make

Building SPCA5XX driver for 2.5/2.6 kernel.

Remember: you must have read/write access to your kernel source tree.

make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/home/mike/cam/spca5xx-20060101 CC=cc modules

make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdk/build: No such file or directory. Stop.

make: *** [default] Error 2

[root@Moggy spca5xx-20060101]# make install

mkdir -p /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/media/

rm -f /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/media/spca50x.ko

rm -f /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/media/et61x.ko

install -c -m 0644 spca5xx.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/media/

install: cannot stat `spca5xx.ko': No such file or directory

make: *** [install] Error 1

[root@Moggy spca5xx-20060101]#

• 1 year later...
Guest David W. Allor

This thread came up first when I googled '"Logitech Quickcam Communicate STX" mandriva', and it helped me to get started with getting it working in 2008.0, so I feel obliged to add new information to the thread.

Here is how I was able to get the thing working in 2008.0.

First off, the driver rpm package is now "dkms-gspcav1", not 'dkms-spca5xx'. Secondly, the rpm worked "out of the package", and I didn't have to compile it. An advanced user may be able to skip some of these steps. Following all of them, even if you don't need to, is unlikely to cause any problems.

All of the commands need to be typed in a terminal, as root.

1. Open a terminal.
  2. Enter 'su' to become root.
  3. Enter 'rpm -e dkms-gspcav1' to uninstall the driver if it is installed. When I first installed it, the rpm thought it was installed, but the installation hadn't actually worked because I didn't have my kernel source installed.
  4. Install the proper source for you kernel. In case you need it, I've attempted to give sub-instructions for this below. (If someone knows a one-line command to automatically install the proper source package for your kernel release, it might help the beginners if you'd post it so it can be used instead of these sub-instructions)

1. Enter "uname -r". It will output your kernel release. You will need to install the source for this exact release.
    2. A more advanced user may be able to guess the kernel source rpm name from the release. For example, my release is "2.6.22.12-laptop-1mdv", so I entered "urpmi kernel-laptop-devel-2.6.22.12-1mdv" to install the source.
    3. If you can't (or shouldn't try to) guess your source rpm name from the release, I suggest you run "rpmdrake", the graphical software manager, search for "kernel", and look for it. The name will be be similar to the name of your installed kernel rpm but will include "devel" or "source". The numbers must match, including the number before "mdv", and it must contain the words contained in your release, though probably in a different order. Click the checkbox next to your exact proper kernel source and click "Apply".

[*]Once your source is installed, enter "urpmi dkms-gspcav1" to install the driver. It might take a while since it needs to install against your kernel's source. According to the text it spits out, it is not re-compiling your kernel or anything like that, but is simply using your kernel headers.

You webcam will work through Video4Linux. You shouldn't need to install this, but the command to install it is (I think) "urpmi x11-driver-video-v4l". As far as I can tell, this driver doesn't work with Video4Linux2.

I am an avid Gnome fan. In Gnome, click "Start => System => Preferences => Multimedia Systems Selector" (or run "gstreamer-properties"). Under audio, set the default input plugin to "Alsa" and change the device to "USB Audio". Under video, change default input plugin to "Video for Linux" (v4l2 doesn't work for me) and change the device to "Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX".

I've got it working in Skype (I'd rather use Wengo, but I'm an American who needs SkypeIn and SkypeOut which Wengo doesn't have yet for us).

If any KDE config is necessary, post it! This thread may be old, but I think many googlers will still be lead right to it (especially with all the new keywords I added).