Kernel Headers Not Found [solved]

I'm definately a Linux newbie so please don't laugh! I've been having trouble getting online with my current Linux distro (Mandrake 10.1 Official), after reading the news at linmodems I got rid of my ESS modem and got a Stratitec with support for 2.4 kernels and higher (my kernel version is 2.6.8.1). After trying to build the module, the output said it couldn't find the kernel headers (and I wonder if this would cause all the problems I've had trying to configure, compile, make, build or install anything else). I have the original 3 installation disks, can anyone tell me how and where to find and install the kernel headers? Any help would be much appreciated, for now my adventures in Linux and Windows programming is fun and games but school starts soon and the more I learn beforehand the easier things will be when class starts!

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Have you installed kernel-source? This is required for compiling into the kernel, etc.

If you want to double check your kernel version that you are running:

uname -a

and then, to install the kernel source:

urpmi kernel-source

this should list a few versions, you should just need one that looks like:

kernel-source-2.6.8.1......rpm

I've put ..... because I'm not sure of the rest of the filename :P

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, that helped. Unfortunately, when I downloaded the Mandrake installation cd's, it only came with the kernel source for a 2.4 kernel, it doesn't have the kernel source for 2.6 on it. I downloaded the kernel source for 2.6.14.3, configured it, made and installed the modules, installed the kernel and got it to boot, but there's no display. I used both make menuconfig and make oldconfig, neither one helps. Any suggestions?

Mandrake/Mandriva normally have compiled kernels and I've heard of problems when trying to get your own working.

Chances are, you don't have agpgart configured as a module in your kernel, plus the relevant options for your video card, which is why your experiencing problems. These are mandatory before you are likely to get X working.

Your best bet is install the kernel and kernel source as above mentioned. Installing a kernel is like:

urpmi kernel-2.6.8.12

or whatever the actual version number is that follows. Kernel-source is the source for the kernel installed, that allows you to compile drivers into your kernel.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I had a ton of trouble finding the source for the 2.6 kernel I was running, so I downloaded the kernel 2.6.14.1 source, compiled and installed it, and got it up and running. Unfortunately, the initial problem, installing my modem, was still present under the new kernel because I couldn't find the correct drivers for 2.6 kernels, so I compiled and installed kernel 2.4.27, installed my modem, and my system works just fine! Thanks for everyone's help, now I think I'm going to go uninstall any Microsoft products and format the harddrive they were residing on! :cheesy: