Compaq Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo Driver

Guest fisherprice

Guest fisherprice

:afro:

whats cooking new friends?

i'm going to be hanging out here a while now that i have read the whole 'kiss the blue screen goodbye' book! anyhow.

on my first install ever, while booting from the mandrake 10.1 install dvd a la the linuxisos.org website, i quickly realized there was no wireless usb compaq keyboard/mouse support and thus the installation came to a screeching halt, and that brought me here for some suh-pote.

the model # is actually a radioshack catalog # 26-762 which i summarized here:

Tech specs

General Features

Model 2600762

Product Type Wireless

Miscellaneous Features

Supported Languages English

Battery Features

Battery Type Product

Included Qty NiMH

Size AAA

Capacity 700 mAh

anyhow, if anyone has any idea of a driver which would work for this generic wireless keyboard or mouse? is there one already integrated into the OS? i have an extra wired keyboard but my computer is my media center in my living room so wired keyboard isnt feasible for everyday use. while running win XP pro x64, the driver attached to the working wireless keyboard/mouse combo is "HID keyboard device" and "HID-compliant mouse" respectively. there really isnt a driver i ever installed here, though it is USB and i really don't know a lot about linux support for usb.

any help would be greatly appreciated! plus im a good forum reciprocator =]

-fP-

Guest fisherprice

yeh just need to find somewhere to live..

i found a new linux adventure now:

trying to get linux to see my sata raid0 which already has a 50gb partition waiting for it lol

i know with windows xp, you just pop in a floppy disk with sata controller drivers during install and then the installation program recognizes the existing raid. my raid is set up on the silicon image 3114 controller in my asus a8n-sli deluxe mobo.

linux doesnt offer the same option during install (that i noticed) nor do i have any idea how i would install it otherwise lol.. ive been searching the FAQs / How-Tos but have had no luck yet. boo-hoo.

any idea how to make mandrake 10.1's install dvd recognize my raid?

thanks

p.s. i will speak fluent dutch before i get there because nothing sucks more than having new foreign in-laws that don't speak the tongue

To help you with your Dutch I will post the answer in Dutch:

Sata is niet het probleem. Linux ondersteund sata. Het probleem is de raid controller. Deze gebruikt hardware raid en dat ondersteund Linux niet (tenminste de meeste controllers niet. Je zou kunnen kijken op de website van de fabrikant of er een Linux driver is). Je kan Linux dus zo niet installeren. Wat je wel kan doen is Linux software raid gebruiken (betekend dat je de sata schijven moet formateren) maar dan kan je WinXP niet installeren. Een andere oplossing is een aparte harde schijf voor Linux.

Succes.

Translation: There is no Linux driver for the raid controller (sata is no problem). You need to use software raid but that means you cant use WinXP. Better have a seperate HD for Linux. You get these kinds of problems when you have hardware that is incompatible with Linux and that happens mostly when you start with Linux and have a system build for Windows. :)

Guest fisherprice

i actually understood that pretty well! seems similar to english in a way (word structure.) I think english and dutch have similar roots than does english and the romance languages. anyhoooo..

that really stinks about the lack of raid driver for my sata controller. i visited the silicon image site and i saw many many linux drivers, but they were all for linux builds other than Mandrake. would a red hat install work? or suse? or no?

jeff