SSH with VNC

Guest smsirag

Guest smsirag

I'm trying to administer a Mandrake 8.0 server with a Windows ME desktop. I have SSH and VNC servers installed on the server, but don't know how to get them to run at startup. Also, I'm not sure that my VNC sessions are running through the SSH encryption.

I'm trying to administer a Mandrake 8.0 server with a Windows ME desktop.  I have SSH and VNC servers installed on the server, but don't know how to get them to run at startup.  Also, I'm not sure that my VNC sessions are running through the SSH encryption.

First of all, why 8.0 ? ... 9.0 is out and ****ing cool man !

Ok now for ssh, in 9.0 we can specify it to start at boot time in the MCC (Mandrake Control Center) but I really don't know about 8.0 so here is how to do that in a console. First of all, open a console and login as root (su + password) and type 'chkconfig sshd on'. This way the SSH deamon will start at boot time.

Now for VNC, I really don't suggest you to run this at boot time since you server will listen at connections for nothing. Since ssh will run at boot time, open an ssh session from WinME (why ME btw ?) and start a vnc session by typing 'vncserver : x' where x is the desktop number of your choise. If you start a desktop a boot time (runlever 5 from /etc/innitab) then start another one for vnc at 1. Ie type 'vncserver :1' and connect to it with the vnc .exe or from a browser at http://ServerIP:5801. When you are done of vnc go back to your ssh session and type 'vncserver -kill :1'. Also, don't run VNC as root !!!! ..

To tunnel vnc in ssh, I would look at that --> http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/secure/sssh5.html#vnc

I've never done that myself but that should work

Hope this help

MOttS