Gui messed up

ozzy34

Hi Guys,

I was trying to resolve my sound issues (see my other post), and during this process have messed up my desktop. Rather than the nice desktop with icons all over the place and a nice title bar I have a very plain set up and no icons. The menus have lost theie nice look etc etc, I've attached a screen shot to show what I have...

Any ideas on how to get my nice desktop back please? btw - I'm a still a newbie despite playing for some time.

Thanks

post-13589-1135419408_thumb.jpg

Edited by ozzy34

You are logged into IceWM a lightweight Window manager. In order to get back to KDE, at the login manager, select sessions ->KDE. It should be listed there.

I would if I could, but after upgrading I only get the options to enter my user name / pwd. I cant choose like I could with 10.1. I'm also unable to shut down correctly and only have the option to log off - I have to type shutdown in a shell.

Dont know if this is related in any way...

OK I've been hunting on how to restore kde.

From thi I've done a urpmi kdebase and this has now got my desktop back.

However I still dont have any option to choose wthe window manager when I log in. When I go to log out I can only end session - not do a shut down :-( To shut down I have to log in as root and then type shutdown...

Any ideas how to over come this??

Thanks

Change your display manager to kdm. It's probably using a different one. Then you'll get the options to shut down.

This is found in System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/System/Display Manager

Thanks for the pointer...

I looked in my display manager and only had X manager so I did a 'urpmi kdm' to install, and then selected kdm as the display manager.

I've now come across a major issue when I boot. I get a nice log in window where I have user names down the left, text areas to enter name / pwd and also 2 buttons (login and menu). If I log in as either a user or root I end up back at the same log in screen... ahhhh. How do I actually get logged in to the system??? I get a message if the pwd is incorrect.

Thanks in advance

It could be that (if you upgraded your system recently) your configuration-files in KDE are broken somewhere. As a security measure, you are unable to log into that account until everything gets fixed. Thus, log in as root, move all folders that are hidden (=that look like e.g. /.kde = start with a "." before the name) into a new directory, e.g. /home/username/old. Once you have done this, all config files will be restored to their defaults and you should be able to log into your system as normal user again. Once you have done this, move all important files you have in /old into your /home/username directory again (e.g. files for kmail/evolution/Firefox/...).

If this does not work, please create a new user in order to see if you can add new users and get working accounts with them or if there is a bigger problem hidden somewhere.

You are correct I have recently upgraded from 10.1 to 2006.

I'm still a relative newbie so woudl it be possible for you to tell me how to log in when I cant get past the log in screen please? I think at the boot splash screen you hit esc but I'm not 100% what to type at the prompt (linx somehting I would assume). Also can you indicate where all the .kde file may be on my system please.

Thanks

OK I've done some playing...

Booted the system in linux 3 and then logged in as root and also tried user. Moved .kde/ into an old folder and the during startX a new .kde is created. The gui launches sucessfully. However if I go and shut down only get the option to close session...

If I now boot up the system as normal I get to the log in page where I can select the user etc. If I try and login in from here then the screen goes blank for ~1 sec before coming back to the login in page.

I also tried creating a new user (booting in linux 3, logging in as root, do a startx). Also get the same issue if I try and log in on this new user when prompted at the gui login screen...

Any clues???

I's pretty much xmas now here so wont have much more chance till play till the eearly new year. However I'll check to see if anybody has some suggestions.

Cheers and a happy xmas / new year to you all!

Edited by ozzy34