Toshiba 5205-S703 and Built-In Wireless Card

lawsonrc

I am wanting to put Mandriva 2006 PowerPack on my Toshiba 5205-S703, but first I want to know which driver I need to use for the built-in Agere Wireless LAN PC Card (Gold).

I have 'googled' for two hours and can find no information. I used the Mandriva Live CD to try to configure the wireless card, but with no success, using all the Orinico drivers.

Does anyone who has this model been successful with WiFi using Mandriva2006 (or even an older version)?

If so, please let me know which driver to choose.

Many, many thanks!

Richard Lawson

There are two options I know about. If your card is Atheros chipset based, then you can use either ndiswrapper or madwifi.

If not Atheros based, then not sure other than ndiswrapper, unless it's supported natively within Mandriva.

You can check device support at:

http://www.mandriva.com

I appreciate your feedback, ianw1974.

Unfortunately, I had already checked the device support at mandriva.com and came up with no answer.

I spent over three hours using Google and am still not sure if I got the right information. A few have said that it the driver is orinico_cs. I had, however, already tried that driver when I had the Mandriva Live CD running, but it didn't work.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Richard L.

Ndiswrapper uses the .inf files from the Windows XP driver, to load it all into Linux.

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawi...x.php/Main_Page

link for ndiswrapper, really good instructions there on how to get it working.

Hi Richard,

Many thanks, I keep meaning to update it, when I get the chance, I have loads more stuff to put on, but no real time lol.

I think ndiswrapper would work if all else fails yes. Usually the best option is using native driver support within Linux, but if that doesn't work for you, give the ndiswrapper stuff ago. Works well.

I don't use it personally myself, I do have wireless, and tried briefly, but no great detail, but it did work from what I could see.

I appreciate your help, Ian. I'm now getting brave enough to put Mandriva on this laptop finally after having it for almost three years. I know that DragonMage also has this model; he has helped me in the past with my other Toshiba (5005-S504), which eventually became "Windows Free In 2003". This became so since the Toshiba recovery disks gave a "Wrong Machine" message and I could never get WindowsXP back on it. So now it has MDV2005LE, Kubuntu, MDV2006, and SuSe 9.3 on it...it's my "distro slut" laptop.

I"ll do the install at our weekly HLUG workshop either this coming Wednesday or the first Wednesday in the new year.

I'll give you an update then.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally accomplished the installation. It went pretty smoothly; however the installation crashed twice when I tried to configure the wireless card. Each time I got back in by choosing "Upgrade Mandriva2006", which brought me right back to the summary page. The third time I decided NOT to configure the wireless card during installation but to wait until I rebooted into MDV06.

Surprise! It recognized my card automatically upon booting with the correct driver, which I now know is the orinico_cs as I discovered by looking at the boot up through verbose mode.

So I didn't have to go to MCC to configure it and I was immediately on the net!

Many, many thanks IanW1974! :D :banana:

and Happy New Year!

Richard Lawson

:bvc: Fellow Houstonian and friend of bvc.

Edited by lawsonrc