Install 2 different video cards

jaraeez

Hi all, I have STF along with google but not had any real luck. I at the moment have a Matrox 200MMS (quad-head) running fine under Mandriva 2006, using 2 dell 17¨ TFT monitors. The problem is that each head only has 8mb which sometimes can be a pain if say Im running rdp on 1 screen & firefox on the other. So I looked around & found 2 other video cards I have (32mb Nvidia PCI & 16mb ATI AGP). I was wondering (like you do!!) if it would be possible to install both cards & run a similar setup (independant KDE sessions) & if it would be worthwhile with regards to performance.. also if it would be possible could someone point me in the right direction as how to achieve this

TIA

Technically it should be possible. How to do it exactly I don't know, I just remember reading about a project (from 2001 when they first managed, IIRC) where they did just that, but with 2 mice and keyboards, and they used the machine for 2 people.

As for using kde independently on both displays, I'm not sure how well KDE will behave; both KDE's will want to write contradicting info into the .kde files...

Technically it should be possible. How to do it exactly I don't know, I just remember reading about a project (from 2001 when they first managed, IIRC) where they did just that, but with 2 mice and keyboards, and they used the machine for 2 people.

yeah I saw that while googling.. not really what im after

As for using kde independently on both displays, I'm not sure how well KDE will behave; both KDE's will want to write contradicting info into the .kde files...

This should be fine as Im already using this kinda setup with my Matrox card. Maybe I didnt make myself clear. Im using quad-head card setup with 2 monitors in dual setup. I want the same but using 2 cards instead of the Matrox..

TIA