Globally Configure Java

I have java installed, but I dont have it configure. I would like to configure it globally for all applications. In the past,that has involved setting some $PATH in .rcbash or .profile. Recently I saw something on the internet about java.sh. Its confusing. Is there some quick and easy way to do this?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

No need to change $PATH. Just make a symbolic link to the java executable in /usr/bin (which is already in $PATH). As the root user, execute the following command in a terminal:

ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_04/bin/java /usr/bin/java

Note that the jre1.5.0_04 in the command above may be different for you - the latest version is 06, I believe. Use the correct directory reference based on your install.

Firefox uses a plugin ( namely libjavaplugin.oji.so ) and not a java binary. But you are right - the above method isn't 'global", some things like Java web start won't work, unless of course you softlink all java binaries to a system path, which does not make much sense.

The best method is indeed setting the java binaries path, either to say ~.bash_profile (for single user system), or for global application to some other startup script ( /etc/rc.sysinit or /etc/rc.local or...).

single user mode would be good, actually that is the method to which I was referring. I remember the file .profile was one to edit. These days I cant find .profile or .bashrc. Even if I could, the way to set the path is probably diferent too. If there is a way to set it for single user I would be interested in knowing.

Not sure why you have no ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc, but I don't know of any reason you couldn't create them. On my much-modified 10.1 box my ~/.bash_profile is like this:

# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
       . ~/.bashrc
fi

export BASH_ENV=$HOME/.bashrc

...which as you can see aims to ~/.bashrc, which looks like this:

# .bashrc

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/games:/usr/local/bin:

# Source global definitions
if [ -r /etc/bashrc ]; then
       . /etc/bashrc