Wine Startup Problem

rogerh

Hello,

Loaded all of the Wine programs from a mirror after a bit of trouble, but they all seemed to load. Went back to the installed to confirm I had all, and it thinks there is nothing more. Using Mandrake 10.0 Official. Can't seem to get it running. None of the wine bottle icons come up when I insert a disk, and when I go to the Wine Control Panel, it tells me it 'cannot load any applets'. The Wine file manager seems to come up fine and be complete, as well as the Wine configuration tool. Not sure what additional information I can provide re the problem. Probably missing something really simple.....

Any help or hints greatly appreciated. Let me know what to look for with respect to diagnostics and I will report back.

thanks -- Roger

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Thanks for the suggestions. Console replied 'cannot find 'windowsapp.exe'". I also did download xwine, got bad signature but installed anyway... Xwine comes up, but there seems to be no wine behind it (probablyno surprise.....). The wine version from source is 20040213, which is pretty old and probably the last official for Mandrake 10.0??

This is probably an untimately basic question, but is there a download source I can use with my installer to get the most current Wine (and XWine) versions. I'm a bit dangerous, and have been warned off of just downloading files and trying to stuff them into my system. Aside from that, this is the only system I have going, having abandoned windows several years ago, and would prefer that it stay up and running. Any suggestions or recommended information sources would be appreciated - I realize that you are not in the basic education business (bigger fish to fry).....

Thanks -- Roger

Oh my, everyone has been so precise and specific up to this time :o I thought that was to initiate Wine.... In any case, it seems that I am on a absurdly downlevel version, and need to find a URPMI download source so that I can get the current version. If anyone knows of a source I would appreciate a pointer to it - I have looked around and have had no success (seems like the Mandrake 10.0 sources stop with the Feb 2004 version....).

Thanks for the help and the clarification on the command line issue -- Roger

Hello,

I did look on the winehq site, and it does appear that there are current binaries to download, specifically for Mandrake 10.0. Based on my limited understanding, it seems that the managed download via the urpmi is the missing aspect. Perhaps more homework is in order.....

Thanks and regards -- Roger

You'd probably be better running a later more up-to-date version of Mandriva, since 10.0 is unsupported. This could pose a security risk to you later, plus the later versions have more up-to-date kernels for supporting newer hardware, etc.

Also, you won't have to worry about building apps from scratch too if they are unavailable in your urpmi repositories.

I'd recommend LE2005 minimum, but this will be unsupported come April 2006 or thereabouts. I'm running 2006 on all my machines, and don't have any problems, so maybe try this to save you upgrading again later.