printer sharing

antonis_wrx

I have a laptop running win xp and a desktop pc running win xp and mandriva 2005 to which my printer (hp 1210) is connected. For win xp I have configured both computers to share the printer... How can I do the same with the desktop running linux without making any changes to the laptop's settings so I can use it again running win xp with no problems?

which do you prefer the printer to be connected permanently? in your xp or linux box? you can access the printer anyway even if you connected it to xp, as long as they see each other (linux and xp) and shared the printer on your network... ( assuming that hp1210 works fine on CUPS) then start cups and add printer...

when you installit in your linux ( the printer) of course there will be a little changes on your xp since you will then add a new printer on both machine, since the computer that hosted the printer changes

You will need to install samba and set the printer to be shared, can be done via MCC in the sharing menu, set up printer and file sharing, etc. To share a printer you don't need much set up on the linuz side. On the Windows side you will need to add a new printer, the shared network printer of Linux. You will need to install the printers Windows drivers, but Windows will ask you for those.