Shared Internet Connection Project

Electraglider

First of all I would like to thank all of you who helped me through my Linux growing pains over the last couple of weeks. You saved me lots of time and even helped to preserve what is left of my hair. :thanks:

That being said and now that I have my MDK Linux box up and running like a Swiss watch, I have a project in mind that I would like to get some input from you networking gurus out there. I hope this is the right place to put this.

I am currently running a small home network with three machines and a couple of printers. My wife's computer, being an WinXP machine, is the ICS gateway using a dialup and the other machines are the clients. duh.. Anyway, we have software running on both our machines that lets us know when we have an incoming call and who is calling. The computer actually dialed in is the only one that gets the incoming call notificatiion right now. That way if we are online we can answer the phone when it rings.....or not. What I would like to do is set up a linux machine, I have a couple of other computers not being used right now, that would act as the ICS gateway through a dialup just like my wife's computer is currently but I would also like to incorporate a router and firewall to cover all computers on the network. I would also like to be able to administer the gateway computer remotely using one of the other computers on the network thereby eliminating the need for another mouse, monitor and keyboard.

That's the easy part. On top of that, I would like to be able to dial out on the gateway computer from any computer on the network and also terminate the connection from any other computer on the network. And finally, as if that weren't enough, I would like any and all computers on the network to get notified when there is an incoming call allowing the user to terminate the dialup connection and answer the phone. Does anyone know if the software to do all this is available for Linux and if so what would it be? I'm hoping that most of the software to do this is already bundled with my 2005LE. If you have any questions for clarification of my intentions, please feel free to post them here.

Okay, I have my Linux box running 2005LE working with my modem and set up as the shared internet connection for the network. Now, does anyone know if there is a way to have the client computers on the network dial out on the shared connection remotely? Right now, the other two computers on the network are running Windows. One XP and One Win2k.