Bad media? Badly Burnt? constant errors [solved]

kobalt

Hi all,

Am becoming frustrated! :furious3: I cant get Mandriva LE to install!

What I have done thus far:

-Downloaded 3xISO files & checked md5 sums (all correct)

-Burnt to CD all 3 ISOs twice (on 2 different CD burners at 4x)

-Checked that CD's were readable with correct file structure

-Tried installing on 3 different computers.

I think that somewhere between checking the md5 sums and burning the images to CD I am doing something wrong. Perhaps its the CD's??

Here is one thing I've noticed when opening the CDs after burning them - if I try to open a file such as the index.htm or README.txt I just get a blank page. If I extract them from the ISO they will open properly - but not off the freshly created CD, which would indicate either 1) Bad Media or 2) Bad burn.

I am using NERO v6 to create CDs, I d/l'd and installed ISORecorder (http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm) and tried to create again, but kept getting error displayed...

I am just about to d/l and try Mandriva 2006, would rather not have to as yet.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!! :cheesy:

the CD boots up and gives me the option to install etc. If I transfered the ISO onto the CD without actually creating the CD from the ISO then it shouldn't boot? Like I said, I checked the file structure of the CD once it was burnt -> could browse contents of most files/folders. I'm now trying a burn on some new media, will see how that performs

I know this is not the best option.. BUT i know it works because i had the same sort of problem..

Said after getting the first install screen that it could not read the CD.. But the CD worked on another computer perfectly.

So what i did was use the HTTP option to install. and it worked fine, just slow..

It could be a problem somewhere in the Bios settings of the computer as i had four computers with the same spec.. and 2 worked two didnt..

What i did for the future was set up a Install server in the office so as installs would be quicker and no bios problems.

Also makes install so quick if you set up via PXE...

BTW you guys know that you can burn the 12MB boot.iso image in the /images (?) folder inside the iso and use that too boot, then point to the iso images on your local harddrive, and install from there?

(That boot.iso supports all installation methodes, http, ftp, nfs, local hard drive.)

Using a cdrw this works great.