Portable Hardisk USB2.0

I just went out yesterday and purchased a Hard disk USB for my Laptop running linux.

Worked First time, One plug in and away it went.

Opened up MCC formated the 80Gb and Set up the path for mounting.

The brand is .. e-DISK 3.5inch HDD Enclosure..

Works well, the box is a bit warm, but not hot... The laptop power supply is hotter than the hard disk after a good lot of copying.. (Just finished a back up 2.6GB )

Very Impressed...

Thanks to the Makers of this and Mandriva for the Support of USB drives..

When buying something new it is always good to test.. First..

If they will not let you then no sale to them..

If it works when you test buy it then to make the sales staff happy..

Edited by michaelcole

• 3 weeks later...

AFAIK all USB harddisks which don't use a special encryption chip have no trouble at all working under Linux.

With KDE 3.5.0 the automounting routine has changed (pmount is now the default way, instead of the older submount/supermount/ivman methods), but it does work, if the user knows how to setup his system.

Personally I do not like automounting (although I'm a KDE diehard), and I've picked using kwikdisk fore FAST manual mounting (this requires custom udev rules). Ain't difficult at al, but not trivial either- I guess I will post a tut about it.

For lovers of automount under KDE 3.5.0, there's a very good sticky at Gentoo forums- just search there for "pmount"

I have a 80GB IOMEGA HD, but I am looking into buying the LaCIE Mandriva Globtrotter basically because I like the form (smaller) and that it doesnt need external power supply. The Iomega is too bulky and the external cable is extra space for my laptop case.

Plus Mandriva put a ditro in it so I can use it in case I have to plug it to a Winbox.