Network Printer Config (using CUPS WWW admin tool)

Guest BerndS

Hi,

I have an Epson Stylus C 600 hooked up to my desktop box (ML 8.1) and had been able to print on that printer from my laptop via LAN when it still was running ML 8.1 without problems. Now, I installed (not upgraded) ML 9.0 on the laptop. NFS and internet sharing through the desktop box work fine, but I am not able to configure the network printing.

First, I tired Mandrake Control Centre - Hardware - Printer. That module gets stuck at a line "printerdrake[2884]: launched command: chroot / /bin/sh -c "/bin/echo 1 | update-alternatives --confic lpc > /dev/null 2>&1". After 10 minutes, the little extra status window disappears.

Then, I tried webmin. Webmin gets stuck looking for printers. i.e. I get no choice to to install any printers.

Then I tried the www.cups admin tool. Surprisingly, it recognised the Epson printer over the net when clicking "manage printers", and puts out: Epson Stylus Color 600, Foomatic + gimp-print on desktop.xxx.xxx. Printer status is given as idle, accepting jobs.

The test page is printed perfectly, however, the aplications I use, print via "lpr" and that does not work (I have to kill "lpr" to get rid of the process again).

I am also lost when it gets to the "Device URI". It reads lpd://desktop.xxx.xxx/lpr (must have put that in at some time in the configuration or modification process).

When I change to "modify printer", I am asked for the "location" and "description". What goes in there?

When I click on "configure printer", it takes for ever and ever until the page in question opens. There, I seem to get the configuration of the printer itself and not the connection to it and I doubt, I should mess with that.

With the printer evidently being available for network printing (the test page works), isn't there a simple way of modifying a certain script on my laptop to get the other applications to being able to print as well?

Thanks for your help.

Bernd

I don't know a whole lot about this, but I would assume what you put for location would be the IP for the desktop. If the laptop can ping the desktop, then that should work. As for programs that print through lpr, I'm not sure. The Description is not important, you can call it anything you want, I know that.

Problem "somewhat" resolved.

Due to a longer telephone call, I had left a print job in the pipe and forgot about it. After 25 minutes, the job was printed.

While this is not satisfacotry and I have no explanation for it (the www.cups-tool send test-jobs within seconds), at least I can print from my laptop, now.

Thanks for your assistance.

Bernd