After update nVidia-driver won't load... [solved]

Gul Dukat

Hi,

I'm using the Mandriva 2006 PowerPack edition. Which has the 1.0.7676 nVidia-drivers installed. This morning I updated my pc with urpmi --auto-select. Along with the update, came the new dkms-nvidia driver with version number 1.0.8174. After a reboot I can't seem to get my X started. When trying to start X as root, I'm getting the following error:

Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module is version 1.0.8174, but this X module is version 1.0.7676. Please be sure that your kernel module and all NVIDIA driver files have the same version.

I understand what the error means, I just can't seem to find a solution. I've tried looking for some entry in my xorg.conf, but I can't seem to find anything that resembles the driver-versions.

Must be something dumb I'm overlooking. :woops:

Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks, in advance.

Oke,

I found some of the same issues related to my problem on the Official-board of Mandriva.com. I removed everything related to dkms and nvidia and downloaded the most recent driver from there site, which is 1.0.8174. And I installed that driver. Everything seems to work oke now.

But a question remains. Is dkms really that buggy? At least that was the impression I've got after reading several posts on the Official-board of Mandriva.com.

Check if the old nvidia kernel module is still there and rename the new one? (somewhere in /lib/modules/don´t know the exact path)

Couldn't try that option anymore, as I removed that in order to install the latest nVidia-driver.

Thanks anyway for your input. I'll keep that in mind next time, when I have a similar problem.

dkms is not the problem. The problem is the source that was used to build the dkms-xorg implementation is different from the module you built. because of the incompatibility X was crashing. By removing the dkms package and building your own module using the Kernel source files that match the Kernel your currently running, you fixed the problem. As a rule of thumb, I believe it's always best to build your own graphics module, that way you can always use the latest and greatest version of the driver or roll back, with out having to wait on someone to build a a version of xorg with the module that works really well on their system, but may be buggy as hell on yours.

Also, blanket updates with repositories like thacs should be thought out. His rpms are great, but you have to read the post about his repositories, so that you get all of the additional rpositories that he requires, to have a fully functioning system. If you really want the latest and greatest, update your system using the cooker and hand pick the rpms you want from thacs repositories. The cooker from what i've seen outside of Messa and Myth are either ahead of or using the same version of most of the software found in Thacs repositories. I upgraded Messa using thacs repos, but for the most part, my system is 99% cooker and still stable.

Edited by guppetto

Thanks, for your input. I'll keep that in my mind next time. But the problem is, that the PowerPack, already installed the nVidia-driver, so I didn't have to build the graphics module. But I would prefer it, though.

For now, I fixed the problem. Next time I will build the module myself. As I always do.

Thanks again.

Edited by Gul Dukat