KDE no longer recognizes .wav files

cage47

I had trouble with a couple things. One I fixed, OpenOffice stopped working. A quick reinstall fixed that. And my typing was slowed. I think it was that weird fast key thing. Don't know. Well I deleted my .kde directory and reset KDE. Typing is back. But I've noticed the system no longer recognizes my .wav files. I have a bunch of my own .wav files in /usr/share/sounds that I like to use. They are still there. However, when I bring up kde configuration and attempt to change my system notifications it does not show any of the .wav files. I checked my other users also who hadn't been logged on and it's the same. The sounds they had set before still work but it won't let you select .wav files. Even selecting the wave audio files tab in file selection won't show the .wav files. But the .wav files are there and they play if you click on them in konqueror. I'm at a loss with this one.

Oh, come on. You can't tell me NO ONE has come upon this problem before?

Well I'm giving 2006 one last chance. It was a crash problem from a power out that caused this so I won't blame 2006, this time. But I am a little disappointed. I once asked if anyone knew what happened to all Mandrake/mandriva's screen savers. It seemed there were fewer and fewer with each release. Well during my reinstall I found the package that has the missing kde screensavers. They used to be a default install. I found them by chance this time. Since the openGL screensavers still only show on the top 1/2 of my screen I wanted some other options. No one here has found the kdemultimedia-artwork-screensavers package? Well the reinstall went fine. And my system is back to normal with sounds. And I've got my choice of screensavers again. It would have been nice though to at least hear someone say that was what was needed.