Can't get USR 3CP2976 (5610) Modem to Work in Mdk 9

Guest robstitt

Guest robstitt

I cannot get my modem working--any help/ideas would be appreciated...

I started with a "winmodem" that had Linux drivers and couldn't get them to work, so I bought a USR 3CP2976 "hardware" PCI modem (it reports itself as a model 5610).

I've disabled the Serial 1 & 2 ports on the motherboard, forced the PCI card to IRQ 4 in the BIOS. It comes up at address "0xd000-0xd007".

First problem: I cannot get the modem to do anything in Linux (I got the modem to respond in DOS 5 when I loaded a small driver program from USR).

Next problem: I couldn't find the "lspci" command everyone mentioned.

Next problem: I couldn't find the "setserial" command everyone mentioned.

Next problem: I can't find a "kppp" command

I found and installed some "rpms" to create the "lspci" and "setserial" commands but I haven't bothered looking too hard for "kppp" yet.

I also downloaded and installed a USR rpm supplied as a Linux driver for the 5610 modem (it included a "3ComMdm" command). That program seems to interface with "setserial" at startup/shutdown.

I've tried every combination of "setserial" commands to make this thing work (I looked at the "setpci" command, but couldn't figure out what I might do with that). In particular, I tried "setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0xd000 irq 4 uart 16550A baud_base 115200 skip_test spd_vhi autoconfig" (I also tried adding "^fourport ^auto_irq").

Nothing seems to make this puppy work.

Note that I've been issuing commands like "echo ATDT1231234 > /dev/ttyS2" to see if the modem works, since I want it to work before I start figuring out the dialer problems.

Note2: This modem was added AFTER the initial install of Mandrake. I had a TERRIBLE time getting Mandrake to install (massive errors reading the install CDs during the install). I had to borrow another CD drive to get the boot process to complete but once Mdk9 started installing all the packages, it STILL got errors reading/installing the packages. I finally gave up with a somewhat minimal setup. A buddy burned the CDs for me--and he even tried a new disk (no difference). Why is this relevant? Well, I may be missing something I need to get installed.

If it is the 5610, all you need to do is point the dialup utility to /dev/ttyS4 (com5). Draktools and kppp only go to ttyS3 so you either need a symlink /dev/modem pointing to /dev/ttyS4;

in a terminal as root;

ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem

or, go into linuxconf and tell it /dev/ttyS4 and use /usr/bin/net_monitor to connect.

or, use wvdial. It's on the cd's.

http://open.nit.ca/wvdial/

http://www.carillonis.com/~ppatters/kwvdial.html

http://dsb3.com/wvdial/wvfaq.html

to use wvdial as a user and not root is a little tricky and the easy way is not suggested but....

in a terminal as root;

chmod +s /usr/bin/wvdial

chmod +x /usr/sbin/pppd

chmod +s /usr/sbin/pppd

then make /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial read and writeable by users.

The wvdialconf command will not recognize the 5610 because it is not a true com1/ttyS0/serial modem, so you have to create /etc/wvdial.conf (plain text file) and enter the info you find at the above links. One of the many good things about wvdial is that you can tell it /dev/ttyS4 in /etc/wvdial.conf;

Modem=/dev/ttyS4

In the future, to find the pkg a command/app is in;

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ urpmf lspci

ldetect:/usr/bin/lspcidrake

pciutils:/usr/bin/lspci

pciutils:/usr/share/man/man8/lspci.8.bz2

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ urpmf setserial

howto-html-en:/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/bugs-setserial.html

howto-html-en:/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/bugs-setserial.html

man-pages-it:/usr/share/man/it/man8/setserial.8.bz2

man-pages-pl:/usr/share/man/pl/man8/setserial.8.bz2

setserial:/bin/setserial

setserial:/usr/share/doc/setserial-2.17

setserial:/usr/share/doc/setserial-2.17/Documentation

setserial:/usr/share/doc/setserial-2.17/Documentation/byterunner-setup

setserial:/usr/share/doc/setserial-2.17/README

setserial:/usr/share/doc/setserial-2.17/rc.serial

setserial:/usr/share/doc/setserial-2.17/serial.conf

setserial:/usr/share/doc/setserial-2.17/setserial.lsm

setserial:/usr/share/man/man8/setserial.8.bz2

[bvc@localhost bvc]$

If you do this for kppp you'll get an extremely long list....so...it's part of the kdenetwork rpm/pkg. The urpmf "finds" "files" in an rpm pkg from your sources. It doesn't mean it's installed. Use rpm -q pkgname to see if it's installed. To find the exec

example;

which lspci

or

which command_name

when you do the lspci command add 2 v's

lspci -vv

to get more info

Also, /var/log/messages will tell you where the modem is as well.

Why is this relevant? Well, I may be missing something I need to get installed.
Nah...I doubt it...try the above and post back :wink:

Guest robstitt

Thanks for the ideas. I'll give them a try and update this thread (it may be a few days, though).

I still wonder how all the "setserial" commands affect this (the rpm from USR sets ttyS3, using setserial and possibly their "3ComMdm" binary). I'm half afraid of the effects of some of the messing around I've done! :oops:

Shouldn't I be able to issue an "echo ATDT1231234 > /dev/ttyS4" to test the modem without using a dialer--or are there other "com port" settings that need to be fixed first?

Well, I don't know? You would think you could echo to ttyS3, but you could try 4. Because of the 3com rpm and setserial commands there's probably a lot that needs to be undone. When I had the USR5610B, I saw that rpm in a google search but never applied it because I used own scripts to connect calling pppd directly with /dev/ttyS4. Try as is, and try after uninstalling the 3com rpm and using setserial to put it back to ttyS4, or uninstalling setserial???? I know very little about setserial and have only used it once. Didn't even have it installed when I first got the USR5610B working, though I installed it afterwards. I really don't know what "exactly" to tell you to do....what does /var/log/messages say about the modem? Look for a line that says something like "ttySx is a 16550 blabla".... and post the output of lspci -vv.

Guest robstitt

For some reason, I had all kinds of problems with my install of Mandrake. It started with the boot/installer getting I/O errors on the CD (even though a WinNT install worked and my other system had no problems reading the CD). I got by those problems by borrowing a CD drive from my other system, but had problems later on reading disks 2 & 3.

Now, with packages missing/lost, etc. plus not being able to recognize the modem...I bit the bullet and:

1) downloaded & re-burned the install CDs,

2) Bought a new CD reader (actually, a CD-RW drive this time), and

3) reinstalled the system from scratch.

Not a glitch this time. No I/O errors, the install worked from all the disks, my list of packages is much more complete, and (pertaining to this thread), the system recognized my modem (it did, however, need to "ln" it to /dev/modem)!!

NOTE for anyone reading this: I never did figure out how to ADD the modem to an existing installation and make it work. Magically when I re-installed, however, it simply found it and got everything properly set.

Now, I just need to figure out all the config issues (I got Kppp to work--but gnome-ppp isn't logging on correctly & I haven't found enough of a log to tell me why).

Thanks!

gnomeppp is practically broken and I heard out of devel..gone...history...from gnome because is is so bad.

there's wvdial with modemlights or gtkdial if you're using gnome;

http://gnomesupport.org/forums/

http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2112

http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1406

http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1552