Installing Intel modem driver

Guest gegalla

Guest gegalla

I've got a tar file in my home directory as a sub directory (modem).

These are the steps to installation.

1. login as root

2. extract the archive into a directory with " tar-zxvf <archive mame> tgz."

3. cd into the directory it created

4. type: make clean

5. type: make 536ep

6. type: male install

I know how to login as roort I know how to extract the fiile using konquerer and file finder. Can I use konquerer and file finder as a root user? Or how do I get to the file as root user? Next where do I find a command line. Can i use the window next to location in konquerer? Such as type file cd modem ...... . Then can i continue to use location window to type the rest of the commands?.

I would do exactly what you are saying from a full screen console accesed with (in my case) ctrl/alt/F3 or F4 or F5 (never F6) and you will be at a root prompt, type root, then the password. "cd" to the directory containing the file that was created by "tar -zxvf". Then execute the other commands to compile the program. You cannot execute those other commands from the desktop. You could use a terminal window, but a full screen is better for seeing the compile process if you have any errors.

Counterspy

Guest gegalla

I'm making progress in my understanding of the command line. There is still some areas where I'm not clear. When I unzip a file such as the driver file do I go to the directory that its currently in or can I unzip from the prompt I get after I login as a root user?

Guest gegalla

I've made some progress in installing the modem driver. In my first post I mentioned 6 steps to install the driver. I've been able to get through the first 4 steps but i'm having a problem at step 5 "make 536ep" . When I execute the command this is what I get:

current running kernek is 2.4.19-16mdk

/lib/modules.....autoconfig.h does not exist

please install kernel source

make: ****[check] error1

Is this a workable problem? What are the steps to resolving this problem? The intel web site states the driver is for mandrake 8.2. My version is 9.0. Is this a problem ?

Guest gegalla

I'm writing this post from mandrake 9.0. I'm was finally able to get the modem driver installed. I am now connected to the internet using mandrake linux. The speed of the msdem is quite slow but thie might be due to heavy internet trafilc in the northeast usa as there is a heavy snowstorm here and many go on line when stuck home. Thanks to those who took the time to respond to my posts.