Problems with Graphics Card on Dell Inspiron 510m

Guest DrF

Hello folks,

I am new to Linux and not very technical, so please bear with me.

I've installed Mandriva 10.1 on a Dell Inspiron 510m.

It has two Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controllers (in XP, I can see two).

When I did the installation, I was told that the graphics card had not been configured. I cannot find the correct driver in the drakconf selection for display, the closest I can get is 85x but when I try to start X with this, configuration, all I get is a green screen and my system totally locks up.

I have tried downloading a linux driver for this graphics controller, but it made no difference.

If any of you have the same graphics controller and a 1024 x 768 (16) display panel, could you please let me know how you managed to configure your system? I have looked everywhere and am officially at a Loss.

The two graphics controllers shown in XP are basically one, XP just shows the internal display and the external vga-out as two seperate items

85x should be the right one, but afaik some versions of mandriva had problems with the intel 852/855, maybe you try the standard vesa-driver (should be somewhere in the list) or you use a newer mandriva version (the newer x.org graphics drivers should work with your hardware)

you can reconfigure your graphic-setup from the console by typing drakx11, there just pick the vesa-driver

This is how you do it, I have same chipset, info on my webpage here:

http://www.buziaks.com/ian/mdk10xinteldrivers.htm

You will need to make sure your kernel-source is installed. To check your current installed kernel this link here:

http://www.buziaks.com/ian/mdk10xkernelversion.htm

then to install the kernel, go into Install Software, or from the cli type:

su (supply root password when prompted)
urpmi kernel-source

it may ask which kernel source to install on typing this, so complete the rest of the filename based on your kernel version, eg: kernel-source-2.6.8.24, etc.

!!!

Two replies! So quick! So friendly!

:thanks:

It looks like I might have found the Right Forum to ease me into the world of Linux!

I will do as you suggest and let you know how it goes.

Prepare for more dumb questions... er, is there any online documentation, a "Mandriva for Dummies" or some such thing, to which I can refer before starting a thread? A FM that I can R?

So far, I've found this on mandriva.com: Mandrakelinux 10.1 Documentation and Linux on Laptops, which are both very good, but I'd appreciate links to any other online documents, which you might feel are worth referring to, before starting a thread?

I have googled my fingers blue looking for a solution to this problem and the answers you gave are the best yet!

Edited by DrF

artee one of our members has a website:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/

I've listed some stuff on my website for common problems I've encountered, and will update more shortly when I get some time :P

The links I posted so far will help you to get your Intel drivers working for your card anyhow.

Well, well, WELL!

Got the latest version of Mandriva, installed it, at the end of the installation, said graphics card not configured (or something). Here we go again. Entered the following settings (from the XFdrake overview):

Graphic Card: Intel 85x (selected for me already)

Monitor: Dell 1024x768 Laptop Panel

Resolution: 1024x768 16bpp

Finished rebooted, logged in startX... boom Green Screen of Death again.

Messed around for ages with every type of combination from every source of information, error, error, green screen aaarrgghh!

Decided to do the install one last time, but this time did not configure the graphics during the installation. Once all was done, went in to drakconf and entered the EXACT SAME as before... startx and VIOLA! CE MARCHE!

Dunno how, dunno why, but if anybody's been having the same problem as this, then try to leave the graphics settings alone during the install and change them after. Worked for me!!!

Now to get my wireless card working. I hear that's a LOT of fun.

Heh. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

I am writing this using Firefox and (drumroll) Mandriva! Wireless Networking was a breeze! OK I did have to download and install ipw2100-fw-1.3.gz in order to get my wireless card working, but now it works absolutely perfectly!

Bye-bye windoze hahahahaha!