Can't login to Mandrake 10.1 - black screen

Guest harihith

Guest harihith

HI

I have got a laptop with the following config:

AMD turion 64

1Gb ram

SIS Mx760 AGP

I installed Mandrake 10.1 from a DVD and since then I am not able to loggin into madrake, neither the GUI or command prompt works, I just get a black screen.

How to atleast get the command prompt/ GUI so that i can work from thereafter.

I have tried all modes , enterprise, linux, failsafe no use!

PLease help

harihith

your problem could be related to acpi, seems that it does not really boot at all

maybe try booting with the noacpi option:

at the bootloader screen press CTRL, ALT or Shift (not sure yet which is the right key), then you should get a boot-prompt, there type noacpi

if your system boots after that, then your problems are related to acpi

Edited by lavaeolus

Do you get a splash screen? The SiS760 is a relatively new chipset. I am using 2006 on a similar laptop with no problem. When you installed, did you use gui or command line?

Guest harihith

GUYS help me!!!

I have deleted linux partition using windows and now I cant go beyond grub, grub is in command prompt, I wanted to deleted madrake and install ubuntu , but now my laptop is dead

help !

hari

Just install ubuntu over the old Mandriva partition. You do not need to "remove" Mandriva at all since the ubuntu install will erase it.

Any distro installs a boot loader if you let it. There is no danger in wiping files, particularly if you are moving from one distro to another. (the files are deliberately getting wiped) Simply install the distro you want and install the boot loader offered with it. lilo and grub are generally offered with the distros that install with a routine, as opposed to distros that are built or boot strapped.