KDE 3.5 released

devries

URL: http://dot.kde.org/1133270759/

Dept: just-in-time-for-cheese-and-crackers

Date: Tuesday 29/Nov/2005, @05:25

KDE 3.5 Released

================

The KDE Project is happy to announce a new major release of the award-winning K Desktop Environment. Many features have been added or refined, making KDE 3.5 the most complete, stable and integrated free desktop environment available.  For a quick look at some of the new features see the visual guide to KDE 3.5.  Packages are available now for ArchLinux, Kubuntu, Slackware and SuSE or try Konstruct to build it yourself.

Notable changes include:

* Konqueror is the second major web browser to pass the Acid2 CSS test, ahead of Firefox and Internet Explorer

* Konqueror can also free webpages from adverts with its new ad-block feature

* SuperKaramba is included in KDE, providing well-integrated and easy-to-install widgets for the user's desktop

* Kopete has support for MSN and Yahoo! webcams

* The edutainment module has three new applications (KGeography, Kanagram and blinKen), and has seen huge improvements in Kalzium

Stephan Kulow, KDE Release Coordinator, said: "The improvements made in the past year show how mature the KDE Project is. KDE is the most powerful desktop environment and development platform in the market. With huge changes expected in KDE 4, our next release, KDE 3.5 should provide users with the perfect productivity platform for the next couple of years."

dot-stories mailing list

dot-stories@kde.org

https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/dot-stories

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I agree with joneberger.

Yesterday I just did a complete 2006-official 3cd reinstall without KDE and then did a cooker of the newest kde3.5 final rpms. It runs perfectly, "cool" in fact.

I plan to do the same again but using Thac and friends KDE3.5 set to see which I prefer. (I sxpect it will be Thacs). This setup is running so nicely now that I feel I can replace my other existing 2005-LE to do this.

Cheers. John.

Im running the cooker and I love the KDE3.5

No errors seen as yet..

One thing i have noticed is the speed of boot up when it gets to Mount an NFS drive before it used to wait (Using laptop disconnected at night) so long, now I cant get my coffee before its waiting for my login..

And Childsplay has not been broken in the upgrade process (My daughter hates it not working 3 Year old..)

I used to hate the XP Flashy bits as they were without use, but i like the extras built into the 3.5 as they actually are usefull and flashy..

Artee.

My kde3.5 with 3.5 updates appears to be working trouble free.

One thing I did notice when I tried Thacs kde3.5 rpms on an earlier ocassion was that in the desktop folder called Devices, it showed my DVD/CDrom, DVD Burner, Floppy and my Fat32 partition called Exchange.

In the cooker kde3.5 none of these is listed only a useless (to me) Samba Shares which cannot be deleted even in root. It doesn't bother me so I no longer worry about it.

One thing I am NOT doing is updating anything else from cooker except kde3.5, Firefox and K3B. I am doing all other updates for Mandriva2006-Official by the usual 2006-Official Update, Security and Bug Fixes only.

Cheers. John.