Unreasl 2, i have it here...

Guest itti

So it's available now in Germany, i got an uk version. I checked all three CDs and there really is NO installer for Linux. I'm no gamedeveloper but i think it would be no big deal to port U2 over just like UT2003 or even UT. Ok that's what i wanted to say.

I think the word was that since there was to be no Linux server for this game,... since it is my understanding that it is a single player game rather than multiplayer,... there would be no native Linux client developed by the developers...

Apparently, the developers of Unreal feel that unless they have to court the affections of Linux server admins, they won't bother with Linux clients. Unfortunate, but some companies think this way. I am re-thinking my intention to buy Unreal Tournament 2003 because of this. A general boycott of running Unreal Tournament 2003 servers by Linux system admins might change their mind...

I think the word was that since there was to be no Linux server for this game,... since it is my understanding that it is a single player game rather than multiplayer,... there would be no native Linux client developed by the developers...

Apparently, the developers of Unreal feel that unless they have to court the affections of Linux server admins, they won't bother with Linux clients. Unfortunate, but some companies think this way. I am re-thinking my intention to buy Unreal Tournament 2003 because of this. A general boycott of running Unreal Tournament 2003 servers by Linux system admins might change their mind...

Yeah, go ahead and boycott the companies that DO support Linux to any extent. Go off and play Warcraft III or Diablo 2 or some shit from a company that doesn't support Linux at all.

What the hell is wrong with Linux users? They make me sick. Sometimes I just want to switch to Mac to get away from this "kill people on your own team" attitude.

They are not on "our team" when they only publish for Linux when they want Linux admins to serve up multiplayer games...

We need to send the message that to get the support of the Linux server community, you have to support the Linux desktop community, regardless of whether or not your particular title is multiplayer or not.

If we keep eating up titles when we get Linux servers, despite the lack of Linux clients, companies will only cater to us when they know it will increase their Windoze sales...

Yeah, go ahead and boycott the companies that DO support Linux to any extent. Go off and play Warcraft III or Diablo 2 or some shit from a company that doesn't support Linux at all.

What the hell is wrong with Linux users? They make me sick. Sometimes I just want to switch to Mac to get away from this "kill people on your own team" attitude.

Well yes i would not boycott epic for not having a client for unreal2. I have ut2003 it's good, there will most likely be a mod like "operation na pali" but really the novelty of fps games for me is the multiplayer aspect anyway.

There are certain games that i would like to play in linux, specifically MOO3, but if it's not ported oh well.

I generally oppose games where they release a server for the Windoze client but release a Linux dedicated server. Jedi Outcast and Elite Force are exceptions to me because I had them before I made Linux my primary home OS... However, I wouldn't buy titles like them in the future.

I see this situation with Unreal as similar to this situation. You're free to disagree, and I don't run a server, so my opinion is pretty much moot anyway. But Unreal 2 uses a modified version of the Unreal Tournament 2003 engine,... so why not port it, even if it's half-@$$#d, as ports go?!?!

If not a boycott, we should have an e-mail writing campaign trying to convince them of the error of their ways. I see it as a slap in the face if Linux is good enough for a dedicated server but no client. I see it as likewise a slap in the face if all the hard programming has already been done for an engine, but they don't even give us a beta client. It makes little to no sense to me, that if a few lines of modified code and a re-compile can make for another platform to be included, why they wouldn't do it, at least as an afterthought... Heck, even if there is no support for detailed sound (or ANY sound for that matter),... or Bink movies or both...

You know, you may be on to something.

Let's boycott BioWare too, because they didn't port Baldur's Gate 2.

Also, let's boycott Volition because they didn't port Summoner.

Oh yeah, and how about Raven, because they didn't port Soldier of Fortune 2.

Oh, and Maxis, because they didn't port Sim City 4.

Let's not buy Alpha Centauri because we never got Gettysburgh.

Let's not buy Creatures 3 because we never got Creatures 2.

Oh and don't forget to boycott Pontifex 2, especially after how we were treated with Pontifex 1...

Oh, and Tribes 2 - don't buy that crap! Sierra didn't port Lords of the Realm 2.

Don't buy Myth 2 either, since we didn't get a port of Myth 3, the bastards.

And whatever you do, DO NOT SUPPORT EA BY BUYING MEDAL OF HONOR!!!! They won't port Triple Play Baseball, so let's vote with our wallets and show them who's boss!

How does not supporting a developers failure to port a game that they have a Linux server for,...

or, for that matter, not supportig them for their failure to port a title who's engine has already been ported,...

How do they translate as being equivalent to not supporting a company because they won't port ALL their titles???

I don't see how I implied that at all...

I'm personally just miffed at 2 things, failure to port when the bulk of work has already been done,...

and failure to port when they want Linux users to set up servers for their Win client games...

I think you have taken my points to a slippery slope arguement...

How does not supporting a developers failure to port a game that they have a Linux server for,...

or, for that matter, not supportig them for their failure to port a title who's engine has already been ported,...

How do they translate as being equivalent to not supporting a company because they won't port ALL their titles???

I don't see how I implied that at all...

I'm personally just miffed at 2 things, failure to port when the bulk of work has already been done,...

and failure to port when they want Linux users to set up servers for their Win client games...

I think you have taken my points to a slippery slope arguement...

What company are you talking about, and what GAME are you talking about?

As for companies that don't port once the engine is ported, I'm talking about Unreal 2.

As for companies that release Linux dedicated servers but no Linux client,... take your pick. There are plenty to choose from.