Upgrade questions

Guest justenjoyin

Guest justenjoyin

Hi all, I am new to Mandriva and so far I have been enjoying success in that Mandriva and my system seem compatible. I have the free version of Mandriva. I have tried to urpmi.update for Firefox 1.0.7, Thunderbird 1.0.7 and OpenOffice 2.0 without success. I found the RPM site for Firefox and Thunderbird 1.0.7 and installed them but both directories for 1.0.6 have been left behind. I was wondering if they can be delete or is there another way of removing them. Firefox and Thunderbird 1.0.7 are working perfectly. My second question is I downloaded OO 2.0 from their homepage and open the tar.gz file and rpm'd the the files contained in it as per instruction of OO ( using rpm -Uvih *rpm ) it installed -- I thought. Can't find the update anywhere. Did a search no luck. When I open OO it is still 1.1. any help appreciated.

Edited by justenjoyin

OOo2 isn't really an update, Sun likes to think it's a whole new suite. Open a terminal and type openoffice.org-2.0 that works with fedora. Or type openof and hit the tab key let mandriva figure out where it's hidden. oppenoffice 2 looks like it is in the cotrib repo you might want to use that. Use the smart --gui command in a terminal then search for open and see if anything there suits you. while you are in the smart pm remove the versions of firefox and thunderbird that you don't need now.

Cheers

The Mandriva mirrors have OpenOffice 2.0 already, so you can install it with urpmi. Do a search for Openoffice and there should pop up the 1.1.5 and 2.0 versions.

If you want to install from the Openoffice site, and extract the files, don't forget to install the KDE or Gnome menu-addon rpms which are located in a subfolder.

I'm not sure from where you got firefox and thunderbird, but if you updated them through urpmi update from an official mandriva mirror, they are still located in the 1.0.6 directories, while they are labelled 1.0.6 on the outside, inside there are the 1.0.7 versions (yes it is a bit confusing)

for openoffice:

the OOo 2 in Mandriva contribs is a pre-version, but it works very well, so if you can live with that, stick with it, otherwise you can install the official OOo2 rpms (they work very well on my system) or if you are a club-member, there are official mandriva-OOo2 packages available for members

if you install the official packages from OOo, it's best to uninstall OOo 1.1.5 at first and make sure to install the mandriva-menus rpm from the OOo 2 archive, too (it is located in the desktop integration folder), otherwise you have no menu-entries for OOo 2

the only problem with this rpm is it puts its icons into /usr/share/icons/hicolor, so they didn' show up in my menus at first until I copied them to /usr/share/icons

Edited by lavaeolus