Help me kill "Desktop" in Gnome and shell!

theYinYeti

I've found the first real bad thing in Mdv 2006 (Gnome).

When I open a terminal, the current working directory defaults to ~/Desktop instead of ~.

When I want to save a file, the default place that gets displayed is ~/Desktop instead of ~.

This is getting very annoying. My wife is mad about it (and those stupid "Music", "Video", "Download"... folders that were automatically created), and I keep my own sanity only thanks to my long exposure to the computing world.

I tried grep'ing for "Desktop" in /etc and /usr/share, to no avail. I tried simply deleting Desktop, but now the terminal displays this when opened

shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file of directory
[yves@sedentaire ~]$

How can I revert to a normal situation, where the terminal launches in ~ and not ~/Desktop?

Yves.

[edit:]I've just tried on a test account to rename Desktop to OLD.Desktop, and to my astonishement, the terminal opened in OLD.Desktop!!! The only explanation I have is that something is keeping track of this directory's inode number, but I grep'ed this number in the home-directory and found nothing...[/edit]

Further info: my wife deleted the directory this afternoon, and now (after logout, reboot, login), her terminal is working correctly. Mine is not, but I have not logged off yet. I'll see.

I still have to see how saving a file works, though...

Yves.

Weird... My terminal was opened at ~ by default... :unsure:

edit: More info: there seem to be two approaches. When I launch the gnome-terminal from the menu entry, it WILL start in the desktop directory. If I start it, right-clicking on the desktop, it defaults me to ~.

Further info: partly solved.

I deleted ~/Desktop (and co.) on all accounts. After logout+login, the terminal is OK, and so is the filemanager.

However, in the "Save" dialog, the default directory is /, and I think it should be ~.

I'm searching...

Yves.

This is a GNOME thing rather than mandriva. I think this might be solve if you use GConf to configure your gnome enviroment. I am not a Gnome Poweruser but I think that gnomesupport.org might help you out.