Change Gnome's default handler for files

theYinYeti

My wife and I both prefer ROX over Nautilus (so the change can be system-wide if needed).

When I drag a file or directory to the panel (from either ROX or Nautilus), this creates a panel launcher of type "link" with value "file://path/to/fileOrDir".

So far, so good.

But when I click such a launcher, this always opens Nautilus because the latter still is Gnome's default handler for "file://".

How can I make ROX the default handler for "file://"?

Yves.

I just realize, what I ask actually only applies to directories, not files. What I want is not to define what opens MIME type "image/png" or "application/rtf", or such things. What I want is to define what opens, eg: "file://mnt/" or "file://home/yves/".

Still, I'll take a look at your suggestion, bvc. Sometimes, I can look so hard for a complicated answer, that I don't see the simple one just in front of my nose :lol:

Yves.

http://www.gnome.org/learn/users-guide/2.2/ch07s07.html

what gnome? 2.8? 2.10? 2.12?

in 2.12 you can then click Add> and Use custom command

It will then be added to the list and can be made the default. Now what that does to a shortcut with file:// ....I don't know....I've never used another file manager in the recent gnome's... but probably nothing will happen, so rox will not know how to open it. I doubt you can change file:// w/o editing sources and compiling, which would be a nighmare.

No luck :(

I have no such thing as "viewers" in my Gnome, only "openers". I indeed could define ROX as an "opener" for files of type "directory", however there's no way to define this opener as the default, and ROX simply appears in the contextual menu.

This is a nice step, though. Now at least, I can launch ROX directly from Nautilus. I wish I could do without Nautilus, though... There must be a way somehow. I remember not long ago, when users still had a choice between GMC and Nautilus.

I already tried to create the "file" url-handler and schema under /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/, based on what was already there for mailto. That did not work.

Yves.

maybe you can change this in gconf-editor: in

/desktop/gnome/applications/Component_viewer

there is an entry for nautilus, maybe if you change this to rox ?

I did not test it, so it's only a guess

Edited by lavaeolus

Something I remember, which might be a problem: nautilus is not only the file manager for gnome but it also manages the desktop, so I'm not really sure if my guess would work, but I remember in gnome 1.x you could substitute nautilus by gmc, but don't ask me how I managed it back then, this was before gnome got this registry-like thing (aka gconf), on the other hand I think there must be a way and it should be found in gconf

for KDE I really wouldn't even know where to begin my search

Yes KDE is something completely different. Please start another thread, as none of the answers for Gnome will fit KDE, and the other way around.

As for the Gnome Desktop: I have none ;)

I switched it off in gconf. Indeed, it's bound to be hidden by windows, so my "desktop" is just a big empty solid dark blue area.

Yves.

As for the Gnome Desktop: I have none

I switched it off in gconf. Indeed, it's bound to be hidden by windows, so my "desktop" is just a big empty solid dark blue area.

so much for the desktop, that's why I always wondered what the sense of desktop icons should be,

but the problem I thougt of is: I don't know how deep nautilus is connected into gnome and its session management