Samba Messed Up

lakelover

Give an idiot a new tool and he's bound to break it. So, I have. I'm running 2006, trying to set up a home wireless network on Samba (I've tried for a week and too many hours.) I've reached a point where my Linux system is protesting. Right now I cannot boot past CUPS. It hangs.

Yes, I read the Samba FAQ, and a lot of othr Samba how-to's. The problem with a neophyte like me is that there are so many variables in the networking system, one bad entry messes up the whole deal.

I'd like to clear the decks and start from scratch but the only way I know of doing that is by reinstalling Mandriva 2006. I've been using Mandrake distros for a number of years and I don't think I've had more trouble than with this version. It installed easily but I've had a number of things working improperly, but I really got in trouble with Samba.

At this point all I want to do is to get my wife's WindowsXP, notebook talking to the printer on my desktop which runs primarily on Linux. I'm writing this from XP, where I'll probably stick until I find a clear path to getting Mandriva networking probbly.

The notebook is a Dell with a wireless card beamed into a Linksys wireless router, pluged into a DSL modem.

I'm open to any and all advice.

Jerry

How have you set up Samba? Did you do it via MCC or via swat? Samba is usually pretty simple to set up. Sometimes there are authentication issues. What would be helpful is to know just what you have done and what kind of error messages you are getting. I am assuming that the wireless network works ok, i.e you can get to the router and internet. Anyway before reinstalling Linux post more details. It does sound from you post that Cups may be the culprit if that is where things hang. I'm not clear as to whether you can't even boot up Linux. If not why do you think the problem is Samba? I'm a bit unsure what is going on. I assume your CD's are fine and when you installed you got no error messages, i.e. problems with certain packages. Wish I could be of more help.

I've been using MCC and root into Kate to edit smb.conf. I'm not familiar with SWAT. After setting up Samba I tried printing from the notebook through the desktop and got an error message saying that the printer need to be enabled. When I go to the properties screen of the printer, the enable option is unavailable (i.e., grayed out). Also,

I tried exploring the net connection on XP, "My Networks" which lists serveral Samba connections (from my multiple smb.conf edits). I get a login screen, which recyles back indicating that I'm not using the proper password but I enter the passwords (I've tried a couple) but none is accepted. Other things are happending, too. For instance the printer configuration screen in MCC, no longer lists the printer I'm using (Canon i560 with TurboPrint), and when I try configuring it the screen hangs. Perhaps I have a machine problem but XP, works as it should so I tend to think that the Linux problems are isolated to Mandriva and not with the computer, itself.

When I login to Linux, the CUPS startup begins but does not complete or perhaps I'm too impatient waiting for it but after a minute or so, I assume it's hung. I'll try again and let it grind for awhile to see if it does continue to load.

Okay, I'm back on Mandriva. I let the CUPS startup sit for six minutes when it finally move on with a note that it was rebuilding something (I didn't write it down). :banana:

Now back to my Samba challenge. I'll keep trying so if you have some adivce I'm all ears.

Thanks for your attention, Jerry

Edited by lakelover

Well, something's really screwed up with my Mandriva 2006, or my computer. I cannot load Konqueror or my Home files. Firefox works okay I can load MCC orkay, although it is really sluggish. When I try to long Konqueror or Home, they appear to be loading in the task bar but then stop and nothing appears.

I thought I would try Webmin to edit smb.conf, which is recommened in MCC rather than Swat. According to directions I can use any browser and enter https:/localhost/webmin and then logo in as root. I tried that with Firefox and got the message that "connection to localhost refused.." Is there an address form that alllows a root login?

Okay, I'll give it another try. I don't know if SSL modules are installed but I okayed the dependencies on the webmin install. My deeper problem at the moment is that my 2006 is really screwed up. I tried reinstalling (upgrade) and it hung up on an error which I have queried the "Installation" section of this formum. I'm thinking about doing a fresh install but I've read that some others are having problems installing 2006, so I'm going to hang back a bit and see what developes.

----------

Update. . . I'm still struggling with setting up a home network. I've got it working okay on winXP to winXP, but can't get my Mandriva 2006 and winXP working together. Samba supposed to be simple but I guess I'm too simple minded to make it work. Really all I wanted to do was set up my printer connected to my desktop to work with my wife's laptop. I'll keep working at it.

Jerry

Edited by lakelover