GDM or KDM, thats the question

Guest tomasz

Guest tomasz

Hi, as a newbie, I had recently the opportunity to have a close look on the Gnome DIsplay Manager, which looks far better as the default KDM. Please, can anyone tell me how to change the display managers? I would like to use GDM as the default display manager everytime when my system starts. For sure, there is somewhere a configfile, which can be edited acordingly. :lol:

thanks in advance,

tomasz

Go to MDK control centre, click on boot, then boot config, you will see a panel which at the bottom gives you the choice to start with KDE or Gnome.

You also posted this in Installation, this is the correct forum. I have removed the other post.

Regards, Anon

Guest tomasz

...sorry, but this wold mean that I would directly boot to Gnome. I want to use the GDM to choose my windowmanager, instead of KDM. I don't want to start Gnome automaticly after boot. sorry for the misunderstanding formulation of mine...

Guest tomasz

okay dokay, thanx a lot. by the way, I have tried the autoboot-mode for Gnome, and something really strange happened: The fonts of the genome menus look now far better! in fact, they are really beautifull now. when starting Gnome from KDM, all the Gnome fonts were really ugly as hell. strange, strange.... :roll:

I thought AA was default in gnome, but my font's didn't seem to have an improvement til I did the below from this link

# How do I enable AA fonts in GNOME2

To use AA fonts in GNOME2, the variable GDK_USE_XFT needs to be set to '1'. This needs to be set when you log in to apply it to all your programs. If you use startx then put it in your .xsession. If you use gdm then you can put it into your gdm session.

It's not there now, but the font's still look better.

• 1 month later...
Guest urbanotter

Hi,

I changed the /etc/sysconfig/Desktop file to make gdm the default display manager, but when I did it broke the Mandrake Control Center. Well, not really, if I open a terminal, become root and give "drakconf" it will open up. What I can't do is click on the icon (not as root) and have it ask for my root password (which it used to do). I'm also having the same problem with the "GDM Configurator" which worked before I changed the default to GDM!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I also prefer GDM.

Thanks,

urbanotter

Guest urbanotter

Hi,

Just as a follow up to my last post ...

I notice that now when I shutdown the machine that in the shutdown routine it says that its efforts to shutdown the "dm" (I'm assuming this is Display Manager") and its efforts to shutdown "prelude" (I dunno what this is) both "FAILED" :cry: . This has only happend since I changed the default display manager from KDM to GDM. What does this mean? Is it serious? How can I fix it etc.? :?

Secondly, I too have noticed that when you log in directly to Gnome (without using a display manager) that the fonts are much nicer. :P I found the /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/GNOME file and have tried to set GDK_USE_XFT to 1 as suggested, but not only does it not work, but whatever I add to it gets removed from the file (yes, I was doing it as root). What syntax should I be using, and where in the file does it go? My file currently looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession GNOME

Thanks for any and all help.

Still slogging about and having fun getting dirty!! :wink:

urbanotter