how to connect to WEP-encrypted network?

redss

My netgear wireless card came with a gui utility that runs in MS-windows and scans for available wireless networks and enables me to connect to a network by entering the WEP password...

What is the best equivalent of this on linux? Haven't actually tried mandriva yet but I'm playing with a liveCD (whax) which has wlassistant and kwifimanager, but I cant connect to a WEP protected network with either utility.

Go to the MCC, networking, wireless network and configure it. (MCC=Mandriva Control Center) It is also called "configure your computer" in the menu.

All GUIs such as kwifimanager simply produce a configuration file for your wireless device. You can do this by creating and editing a configuration file. since you can connect to an unencripted AP, your card seems to be installed correctly. Find out the name of the wireless interface (could be wlan0, eth1, or similar), by running ifconfig or iwconfig as root. Then, edit the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<your interface name>. Google for ifcfg-<your interface name> to find out what commands to put there, and what they mean. Here is mine

DEVICE=eth1
USERCTL=yes
#BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.81.5
NETWORK=192.168.81.0
#ONBOOT=yes
ONBOOT=no
HWADDR=aa:bb:cc:dd:ee  # your card MAC address
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
NEEDHOSTNAME=yes
#
TYPE=Wireless
MODE=Managed
ESSID=Myessid
NICNAME="myboxname"
ENCRYPTION=ON
# uncomment this line if using WEP (128 bit)
KEY="restricted s:my_WEP_key"