eth0 failing to go up after changing ppp0 settings

Guest lironbot

Guest lironbot

Hi there,

My name is Liron and I'd like to apologize in advance for this post being in a non-techchnical language - I'm a simple desktop user and I'd appreciate it if any responses would be given in layman's terms :)

I just installed MDV2006 over the weekend, and have been having a very bizarre problem indeed. After setting up my internet connection (ADSL over PPPoE), I specifically told the wizard to not start the connection at boot (my modem is not connected to my machine 24/7 and that would slow the boot time when it tries to connect and times out).

After doing so and being able to use the connection fine, I restarted my machine and it was trying to boot the connection during the bootup process, although I specifically told it not to. After loading X and getting into the control center, lo and behold, the "start at boot" option was checked. I un-checked it, and hit "apply", and restarted my computer. After this, the machine cannot bring eth0 up at all (?!?), even after removing the ppp0 connection.

During boot, I get a "could not resolve IP" error for eth0. And I am no longer able to re-configure my ADSL connection and connect to the internet since I cannot bring eth0 up any longer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance,

Liron

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with pppoe, it always wanted to connect at startup, even if I told it not to, to solve this I just have two network profiles one with pppoe and one without

you can override the network start at boot (I think it's by pressing CTRL-c)

maybe you must remove eth0 too and then reconfigure your entire setup (I had to do this to get my network working again after messing with pppoe)

seems mandriva does not like those pppoe-dialup connections very much (at least not the scrappy ones in Germany :D )

Edited by lavaeolus

Guest watchmaker

Had the same problem, but found a way around it. Just use good ol' roaringpenguin instead of MCC.

I will suppose you use an Ethernet modem connected to your network card.

Try as follows:

1. Remove anything relevant to your network connection from MCC.

2. Open up a terminal and, as root, start

#adsl-setup

You will go through some very simple questions. Just make sure not to take the option "link up on demand" (answer 'no').

3. After this, you should be able to bring up the connection with

#adsl-start

and bring it down with

#adsl-stop

*but you must do this as root!*

I'm trying to learn how to do this as user through sudo, but I've not yet managed to edit /etc/sudoers correctly (not that easy, try 'man sudoers'...) :wall:

In my sistem, this way I boot up smoothly with ADSL down, and I can bring it up only if I want.