Konqueror won't delete files

JungMin

I am running Mandriva 2006....everything works well for the most part, just one small and REALLY annoying thing....

When using the filemanager - konqueror, it wont delete directories in the left panel (tree) when I hit the delete (or shift-delete) button. I have to right-click and select ´move to wastebin´ or whatever.

Any Ideas???? just really really annoying. cuz then i have to go and empty the wastebin too!!! I like being able to shift-delete things.

I think the existing method is still the best. I would imagine you would be screaming loudly if you deleted some important directory as the result of accidently hitting delete or trying to delete a Directory that is important to the functioning of Linux.

Also it is most likely that a directory you want to delete is protected under root.

Please learn first how Linux works before you start wanting and expecting to use shortcuts that you are used to in Windows.

The OSs may appear similar but it is in appearence only.

Cheers. John.

AussieJohn  Posted Today, 05:11 PM

I think the existing method is still the best. I would imagine you would be screaming loudly if you deleted some important directory as the result of accidently hitting delete or trying to delete a Directory that is important to the functioning of Linux.

Also it is most likely that a directory you want to delete is protected under root.

if konqueror is invoked as user deleting protected files should not be possible without su.?

Please learn first how Linux works before you start wanting and expecting to use shortcuts that you are used to in Windows.

JungMin has made know reference to windows.

JungMin

Any Ideas???? just really really annoying. cuz then i have to go and empty the wastebin too!!! I like being able to shift-delete things.

while browser is open :

settings:

configure konqueror:

behavior:

then tick show "delete" context menu entries which bypass the trashcan

post-1693-1132436857_thumb.jpg

I think the existing method is still the best.      I would imagine you would be screaming loudly if you deleted some important directory as the result of accidently hitting delete or trying to delete a Directory that is important to the functioning of Linux.

Cheers.                                      John.

I understand what you are saying, but its very annoying. I am aware enough to know what not to delete.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Actually....it doesnt answer my question now that i try it again. If i select a folder in the left half of the browser (the directory tree) and hit delete, nuthin happens!!!! I have to right click on the directory and click on ´move to wastebin´. I CAN delete files and sub-directories in the right half of the browser (the contents of a selected directory) by just hitting the delete button - this is no problem.

What i want to be able to do is hit the delete button and delete the directory - in the directory tree (left half of the browers).

Is this more clear???

Just use the Universal Linux filemanager (Midnight Commander), which is 3x faster than Konqueror, and also runs without GUI (plain console). Picking files and directories is as simple as pressing ins, and deleting is as simple as pressing F8.

Konqueror is darn slow and windows-like (it reminds me a lot of the damned windows explorer). If Midnight Commander is too ugly for your likings, try Krusader- it's a darn good filemanager for KDE, anyway ages better than Konqueror (which for me is acceptable only as a web browser, where it's quite goood-although not as good as Firefox).

Edited by scarecrow

I also highly recommend Midnight Commander. It is really guiish enough for most gui users and is quite powerful. But, I have not used Konqueror for anything in a couple of years.

I am running Mandriva 2006....everything works well for the most part, just one small and REALLY annoying thing....

When using the filemanager - konqueror, it wont delete directories in the left panel (tree) when I hit the delete (or shift-delete) button.  I have to right-click and select ´move to wastebin´ or whatever.

Any Ideas????  just really really annoying.  cuz then i have to go and empty the wastebin too!!!  I like being able to shift-delete things.

Open konqueror as a filemanager (home icon), click Settings-> Configure Konqueror...-> Behavior, in the selections, you will find that the check box for "Show Delete" box is unchecked. Check it and then you will be able to bypass the trashcan, and delete the files and folders directly.