K3B trouble / Mandriva 2005LE

coverup

I have a problem with DVD burning on my Mandriva 2005LE box. The file is pretty large, about 4.1G, it's a backup. It appears that K3B has problem with it, note the message below saying "the file is too large"

Devices
-----------------------
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B A206 (/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd, ) at /mnt/cdrom [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM; DVD-RAM; DVD-R; DVD-RW; DVD+R; DVD+RW] [DVD-ROM; DVD-R Sequential; DVD-RAM; DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite; DVD-RW Sequential; DVD+RW; DVD+R; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R16; RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R]

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 0.11.20
KDE Version: 3.3.2
QT Version:  3.3.4
Kernel:      2.6.11-6mdksmp

growisofs
-----------------------
/usr/bin/mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type. File /home/XXXX/yyyyyyyy.tgz is too large - ignoring
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 169
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd: engaging DVD-R DAO upon user request...
/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd: reserving 176 blocks
, warning for short DAO recording
/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd: "Current Write Speed" is 8.2x1385KBps.
Max brk space used 0
175 extents written (0 MB)
/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd: flushing cache

growisofs comand:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=dao -dvd-compat -speed=4 -gui -graft-points -volid K3b data project -volset  -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR VERSION 0.11.20 (C) 2003 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM -publisher  -preparer K3b - Version 0.11.20 -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/kde-XXXX/k3bec3fda.tmp -rational-rock -hide-list /tmp/kde-XXXX/k3blQZYpc.tmp -full-iso9660-filenames -iso-level 2 -path-list /tmp/kde-XXXX/k3b7pMBSb.tmp

How can I fix this?

Edited by coverup

It seems that the temp folder that K3B is set to use is too small for the size you want to burn.

Pick your largest Linux partition that has an unused space of more than 5Gb and create a folder titled k3b cache (or any name you want to give it). Then in your K3B settings, then into Misc and set the Default Temporary Directory to the folder you just created and click apply.

Usually the home account does not have a large enough free space for such temporary uses.

Cheers. John

I split the file into two pieces, the first piece was2.5G, the second one was just over 1.8G. K3B had no problem with burning DVD, when I added both files to the project. The overall content of the DVD was the same 4.1+ Gig. That makes me wonder, what was preventing K3B (or precisely, mkisofs) from burning the original file?

I'd say forget growisofs and do as I suggested. Do not set for a /tmp.

Like I said earlier, create a special folder in a partition that has heaps of spare space.

See my screenshot below.

There shoud be no need to split a dvd.

Cheers. John.

Can anybody confirm that mkisofs has 32-bit limitattions as described here

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list...y/msg06739.html

This is a media, not an mkisofs limitation.

The maximum capacity of a single layer DVD medium is 4.37G, so 4.4GB is too large.

And the guy in our link isn't reporting properly, I think, or he has wrong info about his image:

4.37 GB are by simple mathematics 4,692,250,000 bytes.

This is a media, not an mkisofs limitation.

The maximum capacity of a single layer DVD medium is 4.37G, so 4.4GB is too large.

And the guy in our link isn't reporting properly, I think, or he has wrong info about his image:

4.37 GB are by simple mathematics 4,692,250,000 bytes.

... but if there is a 2^32 bytes limit on the file size, then the maths gives 2^32=4,294,967,296 bytes =4,096Mb which is approx 4.1G. If that is correct, than I can see why K3B failed, 'cause my file was a bit larger than 4.1G. I wonder if anybody has successfully burnt a single file of this size on a DVD?

Well, iso9660 has a max single file size limit of 4GB and that could be impacting mkisofs. A little googling revealed several people running into a 4GB single file size limit when trying to burn dvd data files.

The current ISO9660 implementation (known as ISO9660-1999) does not have such a size limitation.

Older mkisofs releases had to be patched to comply to ISO9660-1999 standards, but the current ones work right out of the box.