2006 installation doesn't work

Guest patm

I have been using Mandrake/Mandrivia for the last year and 1/2

The last version that worked was Rc2

On Rc3, Rc4 and 2006 final, the installation goes through all of the screens OK

When I reboot the boot goes allright up until the Login Screen should appear.

Then I get a black screen with

= = = = = = = = =

= = = = = = = = =

= = = = = = = = =

= = = = = = = = =

= = = = = = = = =

= = = = = = = = =

down the left side of the screen.

Something has changed between Rc2 and Rc3 that is not compatable with the

i810 graphics on my computer.

Rc2 works flawlessly.

I fail to understand why something that worked so well was changed so that nothing works now. :wall:

Something has changed between Rc2 and Rc3 that is not compatable with the

i810 graphics on my computer.

Did you check the file /var/log/messages for anything special about the fault?

Sounds like the X is having a problem

try

tail /var/log/messages

for the last 10 entries..

Can use the CD in recovery mode to look at the files and read the errors if you really cannot get a console..

The free mandriva 2006 have problem with GForce2 driver found in Asus A7N266VM mother board. I can only see compressed lines when testing for X. The mouse can move during testing but the graphic display is broken with lines and the keyboard is dead. A hardware reset is required to get the system back to work. I can only get to graphics mode with 16bit colors at 1280x1024 using the GForce fb (frame buffer?) driver.

There was no problem with the LE 2005 with the same system. I can say that the Mandriva 2006 version of Mandriva is not good to be hurriedly released on the market. This transistional version, Mandriva 2006 (after the merge and name change) of Mandrake is giving the users a lot of problems than any version of Mandrake before. I hope Mandriva can get back on track like they were Mandrake before.

I'm waiting for the update on GForce2 generic driver on Mandriva 2006. I also saw the same problem mention here http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affic...-de-gforce2-Nvi

I have the same problem with my installation, except I have a Riva TNT2 Ultra card and a Samsung Syncmaster 710v and I have the Club DVD official download. I found that the only way I could get around this problem was to use my old Mandriva 2005 disk to load back the original and then do an upgrade with the 2006. This seems to work fine. However it is annoying that an older version of Mandriva works and the newer version does not.

Good luck.

Steve

Edited by spnoe