Mandriva 2006 Error [solved]

Ross L.

From what I can tell this might be a really common problem. I was sick of fooling around in Vista, so I downloaded the DVD ISO and burned it to disk at the slowest speed I could (2X takes forever ><) and it installed like a charm. I was super happy and rebooted. New bootloader looks awesome. Then my screen flashes and then is black... suffice to say it's a bit annoying, as this is my main PC. Hopefully I can just change a setting or two somewhere and it will fix it.

Here are my specs:

AMD Sempron 2400+ (currently overclocked up to 2800+)

ATi Radeon 9200 AGP

1 GB PC3200

If you need the rest I can post but I doubt anything else would cause any trouble. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ross L.

It's worth mentioning that when I try to login as root, it gives me a login failed error and when I try to run XFdrake, my screen goes black. :S

*EDIT* I hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE and it printed to screen and went through standard reboot. Odd...

Edited by Ross L.

Do you get a completely bacl screen or is there a command-prompt? If there is a prompt where you can type something, type

su

and enter the root password. Then type

XFdrake

and set up your graphic-settings once again. Once you are done and are back at the prompt, type

exit

and log in with your username now. then type

startx for launching your desktop.

Good luck.

PS: Oh, just read your added info. I thing you need to grab ATI drivers for your box and compile them into your kernel. Just do a search on this board for your ati craphics card and you should come up with some solutions. :)

Ok... how do I compile them into my kernel? *currently trying to figure out how to get the drivers onto the pc* I am reinstalling it again to see if perhaps my pc glitched during install. Seriously doubt it did but I do hope it did.

*EDIT* Now that you mention it, it might have to do with my overclocking. I think I will undo my overclocking and just give the CPU some more juice. :P

Edited by Ross L.