boot gets 99 99 99

eppoh

Just copied my hard drive w in98se/mdk 9 that uses lilo. When I swapped the drives the bios cannot find a boot record and gives 99 99 99. Tried the mdk boot floppy and got a kernel panic and something about ...not found. Did the exact copy procedure on my laptop ( using acronis migrate easy and it worked perfectly)

Any ideas?

99 99 is definitively a lilo problem. It looks like you tried to put an image on an HD that was partitioned differently than the image. I don't know if you can do that and if it's going to work. anyway..

for now lilo can't find a anythink on your HD so put the MDK cd 1 on your computer and boot from it. At the first screen press F1 and at the prompt enter 'rescue'. You'll have to select something like 'reinstall boot loader' .. Try that and reboot from your HD and report back what is the error.

Also put more details on what you want to do .. like Glitz said.

MOttS

Lilo apparently thinks the new drive is /hdb. When I tried to reinstall Lilo from CD 1 it said, root device found on /hdb

Fatal: open/dev/hda

no such device or address

How do I get that drive renamed as /hda? If that would do it...

you have to make it the master drive. On your hard drive there should be switches (kinda sorta) on the back of it that tells the computer to designate it as a master or slave drive. Some hard drives have the configuration clearly marked. Others you'll have to check the instructions that came with the box. It's also possible to do this using the cable on older computers but I think this is rare (only seen it on my old compaq) and you still have to set the drive as master or it won't work.

Checking the jumper pins on the drive I found that one was bent and possibly touching another.

Booted with CD1 and tried to reinstall lilo. First time it did not work, but inexplicably it did work the second time! Hurrah.

The Acronis Migrate easy is a nice ultiliy, even if it must be paid for. It is made by Acronis who describes themselves as "partners" in the ASP Linux project.