USB HDU not detected

laan97ac

su to root in a console, and see if you can browse the drive from there. (You can) If that works, you need to change permissions on the folder so that your regular user can see it. To do this using a gui, just type "konqueror" in the console as root, and you will have a gui to make changes like I have said.

Yes, Believe it is NTFS mentioned as sda5 below.

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details

/dev/hda5 / ext3 noatime 1 1

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 noatime 1 2

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0022,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0022,nls=iso8859-1,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/sda5 /mnt/Ny_enhed ntfs pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,iocharset=iso8859-1,managed 0 0

If you are using in your system unicode by default, then try

kdesu kwrite /etc/fstab

and change "nls=iso8859-1" to "nls=utf-8".

And also add an argument "user" there- so that a normal user (and not just root) can mount the volume.

And finally please notice that the FS is "ro" (read-only), so if you try changing permissions and granting write access to a user (or in that case to anyone) it's natural to pick an error message. NTFS is not fully writable under Linux, unless you use the (rather obsolete) captive-ntfs driver, or the (commercial) Paragon NTFS driver. Both not installed by default in Mandy.

Edited by scarecrow

Hi there,

Thanx for the answer, I will not be in front of my Linux box in the next 3 days, but will try when I get back. I am well aware that it is read-only which is ok. I just want to read the files.

I do not see nls anywhere in the file - is this a newbie thing? Where would be the right place to add "user"?

How do I find out if I use unicode by default? These questions might be awfully simple but I am still new.

Thanx again!

Oh yes, I'm sorry... just saw your line:

/dev/sda5 /mnt/Ny_enhed ntfs pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,iocharset=iso8859-1,managed 0 0

If you created it yourself you have to change "iocharset" to "nls":

iocharset is deprecated for NTFS filesystems- currently it is under use for vfat filesystems only. Check here or even simpler type

man:mount

in your konqueror's address bar.

Edited by scarecrow