can't ftp from my browser into my ftp server

santner

I run a proftp server on my linux box at home for family and friends to access family pictures etc. The problem is that I can access my ftp server perfectly using the command line, but when I try to use a browser to access the same information I get nothing. I'm sure that there is an easy fix somewhere, I just don't know where. Any ideas?

I am going to bump this because I am still having the same issue. I have tried to used IE, Firefox, Konquoror and FileZilla - none work. But yet from the command line I am having zero problems. So my question is this - what are the GUI tools trying to do that the command line is not? :wall:

CLI tries the connection in PORT mode, while a browser (and Filezilla, by default) tries to connect in PASV mode.

Bottom line is that for some reason PASV does not seem to work on your server. To have PASV enabled you must port forward at your router not only port 21 (or whatever you use for handshaking) but also a range of ports for filetransfers.