usb not working since I installed Mandriva 2006

photoworks

I have a similar problem in 2005LE....I believe is a udev problem but i havent had a bit of time to understand whats going on....So if when i have an answer i will post it here...

Cheers....

Check if hotplug is enabled.  This might help with your usb devices.

Also have a look in updates, see if there is a udev update.

I did update udev to the final version off 2006 but didnt help much....I think is udev because after i plugin my usb stick there is some kernel logging in syslog you know "waiting for device to seetle down.....", and a few seconds later there is some udev logging with "()exec failed:No such file or directory..." and the mount point isnt created...

Note:I have another box with same distro version Mdk 2005LE with this udev version and works very nice.

I also did check the udev .conf files on both machines and compared them....but to me they are identical....so i cant figure out whats going on...any clues? :screwy:

P.S:My usb bluetooth adapter works fine, though.

Cheers...

Edited by wardevil

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AnalogDog

I am having exactly the same problem.

I just did my standard Mandrake upgrade from 2005LE to 2006 Official via urpmi, and as usual something is quite messed up. This time it is my USB subsystem.

If I attach my Zire 31 PalmOS device, I get the following kernel messages:

Nov 22 21:12:02 Timmy kernel: usb 3-5: USB disconnect, address 14

Nov 22 21:12:17 Timmy kernel: usb 1-3: new full speed USB device using

ohci_hcd and address 8

Nov 22 21:14:09 Timmy udev: udev is running succeeded

Typically, I think, these should be followed by hotplug creating devices for

them, usually /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1, then /dev/ttyUSB1 is symlinked

to /dev/pilot so a sync can occur.

If I connect my card reader to my machine:

Nov 22 21:12:17 Timmy kernel: usb 1-3: new full speed USB device using

ohci_hcd and address 8

Nov 22 21:14:09 Timmy udev: udev is running succeeded

Nov 22 21:14:23 Timmy kernel: usb 1-3: USB disconnect, address 8

Nov 22 21:24:51 Timmy kernel: usb 3-5: new high speed USB device using

ehci_hcd and address 16

Nov 22 21:24:51 Timmy udev[13188]: run_program: exec of program failed

And again, no device to mount, no card gets read.

I am just not sure what should happen next? Is udevsend supposed to fire off and get hotplug started? What's going on?

I have a USB mouse, and the only way I could get it to run was to start drakconf, and reinitialize it.

I've had problems in the past with USB devices on MDK 10.1 Official, and to get my hard disk to work I had to make sure it was connected to the machine and then turn the machine on.

Once it had been detected and recognised by HardDrake, I was then OK to connect and reconnect whilst my machine was powered on. It was only the first time, the machine had to be off whilst connecting it.

Guest AnalogDog
I am having exactly the same problem.

/snip/

I am just not sure what should happen next? Is udevsend supposed to fire off and get hotplug started? What's going on?

I have a USB mouse, and the only way I could get it to run was to start drakconf, and reinitialize it.

I fixed it, and I ended up doing two things, then rebooting my machine, so I am not sure which one did it.

1) I applied "chmod +x /etc/udev/rules.d/*" in order to make the rules executable, as only one was executable on my system after upgrade.

2)due to a little squabble with urpmi, I installed a new kernel: 2.6.12-12mdk-i586-up-1GB, which I booted onto.

After these 2 things, I was able to sync my USB Palm to KPilot, and connect to my flash drive. I am considering the fix complete.

Rob