Connecting Mandriva 2006 to XP computer

spnoe

I am a complete novice to networking. Is it possible to connect my Linux Mandriva 2006 to another computer running XP, via my Zoom Xv5 modem Router? I want to view files and possibly back-up files to the XP Pro computer. I may eventually convert the XP to Linux but at the moment I have important files on it.

Could I also access the internet from my XP computer, if necssary?

Thank for any assistance.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Its pretty simple and straight forward if your Mandriva exists in the same LAN of your windows machine... Share the drives/folders on XP that ya wanna read from Mandriva. Make sure that you've "smb4K" and Samba client utils installed in Mandriva. Goto File Transfer -->SMB4K and it'd just remind you of network neighborhood of XP;)

Happy networking;)

If you have a router it shouldn't be any problems. Both computers will connect to the router by ethernet cable, and then they will either obtain a DHCP address from the router, or you would assign a static one.

Then, once they are both connected and have an IP Address, you'll be able to share files between them, as well as browse the internet, etc.