Twin monitors

jaraeez

Hi all... I have installed 2006.0 on an old HD (I'm using 2005 at the mo', & have twin monitors setup using the drivers from Matrox mga_drv_o & mga_hal_drv.o which all work fine) On reboot after setting the Matrox g200 mms video card to run heads independantly I only get the primary monitor working. The secondary will not initailise. I then copied over the two drivers from Matrox but noticed that the drivers already there end in ".so" & not ".o". This didn't work either. checking my Xorg.0.log doesn't really give me any clues as to what is going on. The obvious though is that the Xorg drivers are loading & not the drivers from Matrox. I have also posted on their forum but as anyone who uses their forum will know that they LOCK their forums during the weekend!!!

any help, pointers will be greatly appreciated...

TIA

Just a quick update. I have been told by Matrox that for now I have to install the X server that comes with 2005 as the server in 2006 has changed in a few ways one of which is the drivers ending in ".so" as opposed to ".o" So for now anyone wishing to have dual heads or more will need to wait for an update from Matrox or install X server from 2005... :angry: I will try this (maybe!) in the near future & let you know how I got on...

Just a quick update. I have been told by Matrox that for now I have to install the X server that comes with 2005 as the server in 2006 has changed in a few ways one of which is the drivers ending in ".so" as opposed to ".o" So for now anyone wishing to have dual heads or more will need to wait for an update from Matrox or install X server from 2005... :angry:  I will try this (maybe!) in the near future & let you know how I got on...

As a matter of interest does anyone know the best way to do this? (uninstall X-server that came with 2006 & install the same that 2005 uses)

TIA

Well, I'm guessing that Matrox sent you fishing to get rid of you for the time being, if indeed they told you to get the 2005le xorg in 2006...

It's not at all trivial to use a different version of Xorg than that is shipped with the distro, especially if it was compiled for another (version of the same) distro, as is the case with Mdv05LE...

Since it seems that you have a working 2005LE, and you'd like to use 2006, you could try the following - at your own risk, but then again currently your 2006 install is not doing what you want, and reinstalling is just a half an hour job anyway:

add the main repositories for 2005LE and tell the system to install the exact Xorg version (updated one if available) including version number (or just select the one from the 2005 repositories in the software installation manager).

This way, you don't actually first deinstall the current xorg - which would deinstall all things dependent on Xorg, after which you install the other version, but this would be done in one go, so the system knows that it doesn't have to deinstall xorg dependencies, the other xorg will provide the necessary stuff.

Well, hopefully, that is. This is not a regular thing to do, count on your system getting broken or maybe quirky.

There's always your working 2005LE, so it wouldn't be a loss if you mess up the 2006 that has no dualhead atm.

Well, I'm guessing that Matrox sent you fishing to get rid of you for the time being, if indeed they told you to get the 2005le xorg in 2006...

Thanks for the reply & heres my post Matrox

Since it seems that you have a working 2005LE, and you'd like to use 2006, you could try the following - at your own risk, but then again currently your 2006 install is not doing what you want, and reinstalling is just a half an hour job anyway:

add the main repositories for 2005LE and tell the system to install the exact Xorg version (updated one if available) including version number (or just select the one from the 2005 repositories in the software installation manager).

This way, you don't actually first deinstall the current xorg - which would deinstall all things dependent on Xorg, after which you install the other version, but this would be done in one go, so the system knows that it doesn't have to deinstall xorg dependencies, the other xorg will provide the necessary stuff.

Well, hopefully, that is. This is not a regular thing to do, count on your system getting broken or maybe quirky.

There's always your working 2005LE, so it wouldn't be a loss if you mess up the 2006 that has no dualhead atm.

Thanks for the advice. What I have settled for is: I've backed up & kept my reliable 2005 LE & updated KDE from my 2006 powerpack. All went as smooth as can be expected!! I then installed 2006 on another HD & configured all that I could in anticipation for the new drivers from Matrox ( I was very impressed with NDISwrapper which worked first time with my USR PCI wireless card & the start up times for 2006 are great). So Im on 2005 for now..

Thanks again..