ra0 vs. ndiswrapper

cwaltrs

I have having trouble with my wireless network connection and I'd like to see if you have some advice. I installed a MSI ra2500 PC54G2 Wireless card in my Mandriva 2006 PC. It was recognized by the system and the MCC wireless configuration worked just fine. I connected to my WEP-encrypted home network first time. (The service is ra0.) I figured I didn't need to do the ndiswrapper routine, which I've never done.

Now I'm having some issues with wireless. First, the network icon in the toolbar doesn't correctly indicate the signal strength. It never changes. The iwconfig command doesn't ever change either. Most importantly, the connection has never stayed up for more than 8 hours. Sometimes, the service network restart command simply hangs and sometimes the entire system just hangs and needs to be rebooted.

Questions:

1. Could wireless driver or board problems cause system freezes and crashes?

2. Wouid ndiswrapper solve the problems of dropped connections and inresponsive systems?

Thanks,

Charlie

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

1) Networking problems can cause issues just like video in x can cause system problems. The key is that the "freezing" might be the system attempting to re-establish the network. How long is it frozen before you intervene?

2) I use ndiswrapper for my laptop without any problems. But, when first booting, linux tries to get the nic online, which is disconnected 98% of the time. After booting, there are no problems. The actual boot takes time as I allow the system to be satified with the negative connection at eth0.

1) Networking problems can cause issues just like video in x can cause system problems. The key is that the "freezing" might be the system attempting to re-establish the network. How long is it frozen before you intervene?

2) I use ndiswrapper for my laptop without any problems. But, when first booting, linux tries to get the nic online, which is disconnected 98% of the time. After booting, there are no problems. The actual boot takes time as I allow the system to be satified with the negative connection at eth0.

Ixthusdan,

You answered my other post in Hardware re: "At a crossroads". I'm having ongoing system instability and I'm trying to systematically determine the problem. In answer to your question, I have 'waited it out' in the past, but this time it just never successfully stopped or restarted network services and eventually I couldn't even shut down.

You mentioned in the other post that you thought my problems might be linked to a faulty southbridge or motherboard problem. Any thoughts on the best way to determine if hardware's the cause?

Thanks very much,

Charlie