ad-hoc networking

JonEberger

is there some way that i can set up a wireless router to pull an ip from another wireless router wirelessly? if this were between two computers, i would call this ad-hoc....

it would be absolutely beautiful if i could use my old router for this purpose. the goal would then be to set my old router to pull an ip (wireless) from my new router. i wouldn't be rebroadcasting anything, but i would have my box connected to the old router via cat 5. seems like a cool idea.

I think a lot of this can depend on the wireless router/access point. I have a Netgear Wireless Access point, and it can neither receive or distribute DHCP IP addresses.

This has meant I've had to configure the wireless machines with static IP Address, of which I wasn't too worried about anyway. But it wouldn't even pick up DHCP over the wired ethernet port either. So the access point had to have a static IP as well.

I don't know any wireless routers/access points that do this, but I'm sure there must be one out there. Somewhere.....

Sorry I can't help any further.

i have a d-link dl-514 which is the router that i want to pull the ip from my netgear. so the sequence that i'd love would be

my computer-----[dl-514]-------(via wireless)--------[netgear router].