Sick of distro's

Guest c_m_f

im lately starting to get quite sick of using other peoples distros, i wondered if anybody feels the same at times?

Ive been using mandrake since december and i fiddeled a tad with 8.2

its since the whole kde 3.1 issues ive been having, im just sick of when my comp is a little sentimental it all just gets ****ed up, like today, after i had just fully compiled 3.1 and was installing k3b and it messed up the libs and nothing would open, not even X!

so i want to build my own distro, i know i have basically a tiny amount of knowledge with linux, i would just love to start that learning curve, theres just a few things putting me off!

having to have a distro already instaled to be able to compile all the appropriates! but one thing i thought of was if i compile onto another hd and then put the drive on cd then if i ever had a prob i could copy it over and somehow update my bootloader!

another is the mandrake control center, id miss this and the other little config tools, so i wondered if the sorce for mcc is available seperatly? or any better config tools

so if anybody knows about this, then could help a hand a little or if anybody has that would also be nice!

Lou

I've looked at LFS lately myself. I've thought of gentoo, and slackware, but I figure if I'm going to deal with all that, why not LFS. Another thought I had was rpm-rebuilder..have you looked into it? I alway new I installed it but I had no idea what it was for. Haven't researched it yet, but it would be great to build your own "distro" with rpm-rebuilder. From what I've read so far, you put ALL .src.rpm in a dir or partition and use rpm-rebuilder to compile them all, ready for install of a distro. If I understand correctly, this would be great! Anyone try this?

i wanted to build my own distro but from scratch using the source files. but one thing which im thinking abouit is on LFS it says you need a full distro to build your own because it needs to comppile etc. so how does gentoo build them all from scratch on a blank hd, does it load the compiler and other things into the memory? if so how hard is it to implent this my self to make a simple installer?

i wanted to build my own distro but from scratch using the source files. but one thing which im thinking abouit is on LFS it says you need a full distro to build your own because it needs to comppile etc. so how does gentoo build them all from scratch on a blank hd, does it load the compiler and other things into the memory? if so how hard is it to implent this my self to make a simple installer?

I just installed Gentoo from Stage 1 (everything is compiled from souce) and here is the webpage wherer I got the instructions:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml

Now, to answer your question, here is the part of the above page where they talk about the bootstrap process (Compile binutils, gcc, gettext, and glibc, rebuilding binutils, gcc, and gettext after glibc) :

The stage1 tarball is for ultimate tweakage. If you have picked this tarball, you are most likely looking to have an uber-optimized system. Have fun, because optimization is what Gentoo Linux is all about!  

Now, it's time to start the "bootstrap" process. This process takes about two hours on my 1200Mhz AMD Athlon system. During this time, the extracted build image will be prepped for compiling the rest of the system. The GNU compiler suite will be built, as well as the GNU C library. These are time consuming builds and make up the bulk of the bootstrap process.  

Code listing 12.1: Bootstrapping

# cd /usr/portage

# scripts/bootstrap.sh

The "bootstrap" process will now begin.  

Note: Portage by default uses /var/tmp during package building, often using several hundred megabytes of temporary storage. If you would like to change where Portage stores these temporary files, set a new PORTAGE_TMPDIR before starting the bootstrap process, as follows:  

Code listing 12.2: Changing Portage's Storage Path

# export PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/otherdir/tmp"

bootstrap.sh will build binutils, gcc, gettext, and glibc, rebuilding binutils, gcc, and gettext after glibc. Needless to say, this process takes a while. Have a nice nap. Once this process completes, your system will be equivalent to a "stage2" system, which means you can now move on to the stage2 instructions.  

Hope this answer your question..

MOttS

You could also look at

[root@localhost root]# urpmf --summary mkisofs

mkisofs:summary:Creates an image of an ISO9660 filesystem.

eroaster:summary:The ECLIPT Roaster is a graphical frontend to cdrecord and mkisofs

[root@localhost root]# urpmf --summary zisofs-tools

zisofs-tools:summary:Utilities to create compressed CD-ROM filesystems.

Description: Tools that, in combination with an appropriately patched version of mkisofs, allow the creation of compressed CD-ROM filesystems.

and as mentioned earlier

[root@localhost root]# urpmf --summary rpm-rebuilder

rpm-rebuilder:summary:Tools to build/check distributions

Description: The rpm-rebuilder package contains a set of tools written in bourne shell and python.

check-distrib: checks if a set of source and binary rpms are in sync.

rpm-rebuilder: build a set of rpms from a set of srpms.

compute-build-requires: trace an rpm build command to find the BuildRequires it needs.

compute-compile-order: from the sets of binary and sources rpms, find the order in which the source rpms must be recompiled.

Does any one know a one stop shop where I can download the src.rpms? :shock: They're not on the CD's like they use to be.