Samba - browse network

tschwenke

When I browse the network from my windows box, I see the samba server, but when I double click on it, I get the dredded "cannot connect". If I try to browse by name (\\tas-02) it doesn't find the machine either. BUT, if I put in the IP address of the machine it works fine.

I did a fresh install of 2006 and mounted my old dying drive and coppied the smb.conf that I had on the other machine. What am I missing? Something with WINS? Lost...

Oh, I installed SWAT, but that won't start either. I have yet to reboot since installing it so that might be its issue.

THanks for any and all help.

When I browse the network from my windows box, I see the samba server, but when I double click  on it, I get the dredded "cannot connect".  If I try to browse by name (\\tas-02) it doesn't find the machine either.  BUT, if I put in the IP address of the machine it works fine.

Regarding just the part about why the IP address works but \\tas-02 doesn't: you probably need an entry in the Hosts file to relate tas-02 to the IP address of that machine. The Hosts file should be in the Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc folder (assuming this is an XP machine). The entry would look like this:

<ip-address> tas-02

example:

192.168.1.101 tas-02

When I browse the network from my windows box, I see the samba server, but when I double click on it, I get the dredded "cannot connect".

are you trying to connect from a windows 98 ? coz if your trying from win2k or XP, it will prompt you for a username and password, which is the username that you will enter should exist on the linux box and also on smbpasswd... if from windows 98, you should logon ( locally) on a username that also exist on your Mandy 2006 samba server...

also check if firewall is not the one responsible....

Connecting from Windows XP..

I did get swat to work, but I don't know what is different in the global section from the old install. Some of those settings don't appear to be in the smb.conf file.

I can understand putting something in the LMHOSTS file, but I never had to before. I can see the machine in the network neighborhood, but when I double click on it that is when it gives me the problem. Also, if I type in just the machine name (from like run) it will not find it. I had no issues with that before from the same machine.

This is a 2006.0 install and I had 2005 LE previously. I did not change my hostname in the same manner (but don't think that would do it). I put the HOSTNAME line in "a" file last time. This time I changed it from MCC in the general options.

One interesting thing is from my work machine (laptop at home) I can get to the name, but it forces me to logon as localguest. I have not setup that account in samba. But I do get prompted...